WIndows 10 Creator makes USB MSC(MSD) units read only

NLL

Reaction score
We have noticed since we installed the CREATOR upgrades
USB MSC(MSD) configured equipment has become read only
1. This is true with our NetSLARM and SLARM systems build around the Silicon Labs MSC driver
2. Seagate Free Agent Pro External Storage Drive, Hitachi External Storage Drive
3. These same systems work on our older Win10 -not upgraded systems and we ran an experiment where things worked and then applied the Creator Upgrade - All became Read Only
4. It appears Creator set the MSC routine to READ Only
Seagate's position - buy a new drive -hmmmm
What do we do????The USB MSC(MSD) is part of the USB Standard

Reaction score
I'm on the Fall Creators Update and still have no problems with 3 USB HDDs connected to my computer. Windows 10 Home Version 1709 Build 16299.19

NLL

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick comment:
Question- how old are the drives?
The Hitachi and Seagate are at least 7 years old
The NetSLARM and SLARM implentation using the Silicon Labs MSC driver -is more like 10+ years old.
The problems shows up on all (6 tested so far, at three different locations) Windows 10 machines that had no problems prior to the Creator installs.
I have a couple Windows 10 Home -32 bit tablets -that don't have the creator update and they work perfectly with everything
The issue may be with the USB configuration implemented by the manufacturer -that said the USB MSC profile is defined in the standard...So why Creator would create so many problems is a puzzle
Real problem for us

Reaction score
The 2TB and 1TB are about 3 years old and the 4TB is early this year. They are formatted NTFS except the 4TB came from the factory as exFAT.

NLL

Reaction score
I am sure the drive format is not the issue. Perhaps the newer drives went to another USB profile - for better performance ...
What was interesting the Free Agent Pro also has Firewire -
On XP Pro SP3 - no problem
but
On Windows 10 Pro Creator Upgrade - same identical issue - Hmmm????
and I know the Firewire works since I use it to control other equipment (not hard drives)
Thanks for the insights

Reaction score
I've never run FireWire/IEEE1394 devices, developed by Apple. The only computer I have it on is my MacBook Pro from mid-2010.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The NetSLARM and SLARM implentation using the Silicon Labs MSC driver
Can we assume that, that is an add-in card (PCI or PCIe) which requires a driver that is up-to-date and compatible with the latest Windows 10 version?
IF so have you tried reinstalling the driver just to see if something was corrupted during the upgrade.

Do the drives seem to work correctly when connect through an integrated motherboard based USB port?

I can only echo what has been said above.
I have several external drives that I use WD elements 2TB USB 3.0 as well as a number of standard internal hard disks which I employ through two different docking devices both USB 3.0, one is built into my case with a direct cable to my motherboard internally and the other an external USB 3.0 docking station https://www.amazon.com/Ineo-I-NA321UPLUS-Docking-2-5-inch-3-5-inch/dp/B008NA1KVW

No problem with any of them prior to or after the Fall Creators UPdate.

NLL

Reaction score
Can we assume that, that is an add-in card (PCI or PCIe) which requires a driver that is up-to-date and compatible with the latest Windows 10 version?
IF so have you tried reinstalling the driver just to see if something was corrupted during the upgrade.

Do the drives seem to work correctly when connect through an integrated motherboard based USB port?

I can only echo what has been said above.
I have several external drives that I use WD elements 2TB USB 3.0 as well as a number of standard internal hard disks which I employ through two different docking devices both USB 3.0, one is built into my case with a direct cable to my motherboard internally and the other an external USB 3.0 docking station https://www.amazon.com/Ineo-I-NA321UPLUS-Docking-2-5-inch-3-5-inch/dp/B008NA1KVW

No problem with any of them prior to or after the Fall Creators UPdate.

NLL

Reaction score
The Free Agent and the HItachi are stand-alone USB (and Firewire in the case of the Free Agent) Drive designed to plug into an industry standard USB port.

Our products have a built in CPU with on board USB and firmware configured to the MSC(MSD) profile supplied by Silicon Labs..This was done 10+ years ago as a Mass Storage Device for speed... I am told the USB standards and the profiles for MSC have not changed ...That the Free Agent Pro, and Hitachi drives are exhibiting the same- Read Only- issue seems to indicate Microsoft's Creator update set this profile to READ ONLY...I suspect new USB connected drives no longer use the MSC profile -as the USB bus is now significantly faster then 10+ years ago,,,

Ask a Question