windows 10 critical error

Reaction score
Critical error
Start menu and Cortana are not working
we'll try to fix next time you sign in
I cannot get into internet explorer unless I go to my folders and actually click on internet explorer icon
when I read my mail if there is a link to go to internet explorer I cannot go to it get (class not registered)
I looked up trying to uninstall but I again have no start up menu to find the folders I need to uninstall
I am running windows 7 64 internet explorer 11
please help me get this off my computer or help me fix it, I would really like to use it
thank you

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
please help me get this off my computer
Windows Logo Key + I key should evoke the settings window
From there you should be able to get to Update & Security and then the Recovery link on the left should provide a Go Back To option.
or help me fix it,
Windows Update
Run it a couple times.
Check update history and see if you have KB3081424?
That fixed some of the problems with various annoyances including I believe the Start Menu

Reaction score
Windows Logo Key + I key should evoke the settings window
From there you should be able to get to Update & Security and then the Recovery link on the left should provide a Go Back To option.

Windows Update
Run it a couple times.
Check update history and see if you have KB3081424?
That fixed some of the problems with various annoyances including I believe the Start Menu

thank you for answering me
the windows logo key and I key does not work for me, is their another way to find the update and security
and as far as the update history (where is the updates please and thank y ou)
this is driving me crazy I just want it to go away it is completely changing all my extensions and all files
please if their is something else please tell me
thank you Marie

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
the windows logo key and I key does not work for me, is their another way to find the update and security
there are any number of ways you might try to get into settings, although if the start button doesn't have a settings item in the menu list that works and the Windows Logo Key combined with the i key doesn't work there may be other things afoot.
Can you open File Explorer the thing on your taskbar that looks like a folder near the start button there is an "Open Settings" icon there in the ribbon near the top.
Can you click the notification icon, bottom right near the clock in your taskbar there is also a "All Settings" icon there as well.
You can right click any blank area of your desktop and choose "Personalize" that will take you to a subset in the Settings utility from which you can click the gear icon in the top right and it will take you back to the general setting window

Reaction score
there are any number of ways you might try to get into settings, although if the start button doesn't have a settings item in the menu list that works and the Windows Logo Key combined with the i key doesn't work there may be other things afoot.
Can you open File Explorer the thing on your taskbar that looks like a folder near the start button there is an "Open Settings" icon there in the ribbon near the top.
Can you click the notification icon, bottom right near the clock in your taskbar there is also a "All Settings" icon there as well.
You can right click any blank area of your desktop and choose "Personalize" that will take you to a subset in the Settings utility from which you can click the gear icon in the top right and it will take you back to the general setting window
Hi
I can get into file explorer but I do not understand what I am looking for

the answer before you asked me about update KB3081424 I have it in my list of installed updates

the notification icon does not let me in

personalize = this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action
please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the default programs control panel
what needs to be associated?????
thank you so much for trying to help me, hopefully I can get out of this somehow
can we do a system restore??????

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Wow.... sounds like there are some serious problems.
hold down the windows logo key on your keyboard and strike the R key and type
ms-settings:windowsupdate
Does that produce anything

IF not try running the native System File Checker
hold down the Windows logo key on your keyboard and strike the X key
Select Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu
Type
sfc /scannow
See if that produces anything in the way of helpful information.

Reaction score
Wow.... sounds like there are some serious problems.
hold down the windows logo key on your keyboard and strike the R key and type
ms-settings:windowsupdate
Does that produce anything

IF not try running the native System File Checker
hold down the Windows logo key on your keyboard and strike the X key
Select Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu
Type
sfc /scannow
See if that produces anything in the way of helpful information.
ms-settings:windowsupdate =
class not registered

I already did sfc/scannow nothing was wrong

I now have a windows 10 start menu
but the icons do not work

I was trying to change and extension for my gif pictures
will not let me change???????

Reaction score
ms-settings:windowsupdate =
class not registered

I already did sfc/scannow nothing was wrong

I now have a windows 10 start menu