Windows 10 desktop crashing on startup

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm not very tech-savvy so I'm not sure I'll get all the terms right. But bear with me

I'm using Windows 10 on a Lenovo IdeaPad Z560 laptop. Yesterday I started having trouble with my operating system. I can turn on my computer and log in (write my password and go to the desktop), but when I reach the desktop, it starts blacking out and relaunching. All my program icons appear, but items on the taskbar are missing

I tried activating in safe mode but the persists. I went to the security options (Ctrl+Alt+Delete from the desktop, then clicking on restart while Shift is pressed). I tried reinstalling Windows but it encountered an unspecified error. It couldn't find any restore points or older versions of Build to scale back to. I have no idea what to do

I should note 2 things that might be important. First, a few days ago start menu stopped working. I tried following some instructions I found on various sites (mostly using command prompt and PowerShell) but nothing really happened. But maybe it affected my computer somehow

Second, my battery is pretty old and runs out of power quite fast. I have a new one which curiously loses power even quicker. I tried switching between them a few times (after turning off my computer), and I think the older battery is even weaker now. So it might have also messed up my computer

I'm attaching a screenshot of my desktop and a video of it crashing, hope you can see them. My operating system is in Hebrew but I think you can get the main problem

I hope I gave you all the information you need, and reeeeeeally hope you can help me find a solution to this problem. If this has already been asked and fixed on another thread, I'd be thankful if you can direct me to that thread. I searched here but couldn't find nothing

Thanks in advance for whatever you can offer me

Video link: https://vid.me/RQps

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Use Ctrl + Alt + Delete to launch Task Manager
In the task manager window, at the top in the menu select File -> Run new task
In the "Create new task" dialog box type
C:\Windows\System32
hit enter or click OK
Scroll down to cmd,exe (if you are hiding file extensions of known types it might just say cmd) it'll have a DOS prompt image as an icon
Right click that and choose Run as administrator and in the command prompt window type
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
Restart and log in as JohnSmith

See if that does anything to address your problem.

Reaction score
Thanks Trouble,

I found some other way through it before I saw your comment. In my frustration, I restarted my computer again and pressed F12, hoping I'll get to some settings page or something. It brought to a screen with 3 boot options, so I just chose the first one and clicked Enter (didn't see any exit button). Then Windows launched again and so far it works fine. Don't know what I did there but it seems to have worked. I'll wait a few more days to see if the problem doesn't return before I mark this as solved. Anyway, I'd keep your advice in mind

Thanks again

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Interesting......
The magical F12 key, 3 boot options.
Perhaps the one time boot menu and choice 1 was Windows Boot Manager?
OR
The BIOS setup utility and choice 1 was load optimized defaults?
Who knows.
Just glad to hear that you are up and running again.
Might be a good idea to backup all your critical data and create a disk image also.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Reaction score
So, it came back. I followed your instructions and it didn't make much difference. I could log in as JohnSmith, but the desktop kept re-blackening. F12 didn't do the trick either. But I shut down my computer completely, waited about 10 minutes, turned it on, and logged in as usual. It did crash a few times but seems after that everything was relaunched, all icons appear, and even the taskbar looks good. Still a bit slow tho. So I still can't find a pattern here. Anyway, I would sure follow your advice on the backup. Thanks a bunch (do people still say that?)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
How about if you move your lid back and forth?
Does that seem to make it better, worse or no difference.
Watching you video doesn't help much but there might be a connection issue between the monitor in the lid and the base of the computer.
IF you're relatively certain that it's not a hardware issue then maybe....
At the sign-in screen use the power button while holding the shift key and clicking restart to get to advanced troubleshooting option "Startup Settings", to restart in Safe Mode.
See if the same problem occurs in safe mode.

Ask a Question