SOLVED Windows 10 doesn't boot

Reaction score
My computer started up in automatic repair. I searched on my phone and found the path to get to the 'troubleshoot PC/reset or shut down' menu, and I've tried several solutions that didn't work.

Attempting to reset the PC returns "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again."

Attempting to fix the issue with chkdsk /f returns "Cannot lock current drive. Windows cannot run disk checking on this drive because it is write protected."

Attempting to use sfc /scannow returns "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

Then after trying all of these and restarting, I'm met with this.

60ef6c3e28.jpg

What do I do?

Reaction score
I toyed around with it, asked people I knew and as it happens I had to retrieve a windows 10 ISO through another computer, then set the efi file inside the boot folder on the portable drive I kept the ISO on as the priority boot device, save and exit after a lot of messing around because Aptio is a bad BIOS, and then do a clean install of Windows. I still have no idea why the BCD was altered in a way that broke my boot. I still haven't properly fixed it; all I can do is hope it works.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Thanks for sharing your experience with us and glad to hear that you are at least back up and running again.
A clean install is not always a bad thing, I expect that, once you've gotten all your drivers sorted out through ASUS, it'll perform as expected. Hopefully you had backsups of all your critical data.

Ask a Question