Windows 10 doesnt shut down hard drive ?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have 2 hard drives
In windows 7 i made sure my second drive turned off after 5 minutes because it makes a lot of noise

energy savings options / advanced options / turn off hard disk after 5 minutes

why doesnt this work in windows 10 ?
it keeps on going
and its like windows 10 is using the second hard drive? is windows 10 spying on me ?
There is no operating system installed on my second drive its just for backup.

Reaction score
Do you have search indexing turned on? If so turn it off and your second drive should go to sleep after 5 minutes.

Reaction score
i can hear my second hard drive doing stuff every 30 seconds

my first one is a ssd so that doesnt make any noise
really annoying

Reaction score
is there a way to see if a program is trying to access my second hard drive?

Reaction score
and btw its a clean windows 10 education install

with windows 7 pro i didnt had this problem

really weird

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry Niki, you're not being ignored, it's more likely that no one has any answers for anything having to do with Windows 10 and Power Saving options.
I know, I don't and for the most part think that more work needs to be done.
We seem to see a lot of similar complaints one way or the other (things won't comply with some power scheme or other or if they do comply then they don't recover properly).
Just my personal observation but it seems to be more prevalent in Windows 7 upgrades. IDK if that is because the hardware is older and perhaps doesn't understand some of the newer Windows 10 APIs or not but I guess it could be.

Reaction score
well...
when are they going to solve this???

back to windows 7 then
or maybe linux
dont like bill gates anyway

Reaction score
You probably need to take it up with Microsoft support. I have no issues putting my external to sleep after 5 minutes. It may be an issue between your hardware and Windows 10.

Reaction score
You probably need to take it up with Microsoft support. I have no issues putting my external to sleep after 5 minutes. It may be an issue between your hardware and Windows 10.

Its not an external hard drive
its the second hard drive in my desktop pc

i will check out windows support thx

Reaction score
i have this problem
please help me solving it
my second HDD is not going to sleep
it were going to sleep before changing my OS but now its not

Hi bro,

I have the same issue with you and Niki. Actually, Niki left a clue to solve this issue. It's the link he left.
http://hddscan.com/
I went to the website, and download the HddScan software. I played with it and click every button and every menu and found the way to make the secondary hard disk quiet in Windows 10.

1. Download the HDDScan software.
2. Unzip it and open HDDScan.exe.
3. Choose your secondary machinery hard disk at the left drop down menu. Mine is "HGST HTS183659A2B135".
4. Click the button just at the right of the drop down menu. It's like a square hard disk icon. Click on it will pop out a menu.
5. Click on "Features" in the menu, and then "IDE Features" in the right pop out menu.
6. Will pop out a new window, title is "Features of HGST HTS183659A2B135"
7. Drag the cursor to increase the idle time at "Power Management" or "Advanced Power Management", and click on "set" button to set the modified value to the hard disk firmware.
8. This should be done.
9. "Spinup" button and "Spindown" button not sure about the function. Just try.
10. There is another way after step 4. Click the "Build Command Line" to set the idle time, and save it to some batch file "*.bat" file. You can run the bat file later when you save it. But the first time I run this bat file, I cannot read the file in the hard disk. May be because I gave wrong parameters -- "Spindown". Then I use the above 5-9 step to "Spinup" the hard disk, it solves the problem.
11. I use Thinkpad P50, Windows 10 pro, two hard disks. 1st is Samsung SSD, 2nd is HGST machinery hdd. Now everything is quiet. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi bro,

I have the same issue with you and Niki. Actually, Niki left a clue to solve this issue. It's the link he left.
http://hddscan.com/
I went to the website, and download the HddScan software. I played with it and click every button and every menu and found the way to make the secondary hard disk quiet in Windows 10.

1. Download the HDDScan software.
2. Unzip it and open HDDScan.exe.
3. Choose your secondary machinery hard disk at the left drop down menu. Mine is "HGST HTS183659A2B135".
4. Click the button just at the right of the drop down menu. It's like a square hard disk icon. Click on it will pop out a menu.
5. Click on "Features" in the menu, and then "IDE Features" in the right pop out menu.
6. Will pop out a new window, title is "Features of HGST HTS183659A2B135"
7. Drag the cursor to increase the idle time at "Power Management" or "Advanced Power Management", and click on "set" button to set the modified value to the hard disk firmware.
8. This should be done.
9. "Spinup" button and "Spindown" button not sure about the function. Just try.
10. There is another way after step 4. Click the "Build Command Line" to set the idle time, and save it to some batch file "*.bat" file. You can run the bat file later when you save it. But the first time I run this bat file, I cannot read the file in the hard disk. May be because I gave wrong parameters -- "Spindown". Then I use the above 5-9 step to "Spinup" the hard disk, it solves the problem.
11. I use Thinkpad P50, Windows 10 pro, two hard disks. 1st is Samsung SSD, 2nd is HGST machinery hdd. Now everything is quiet. :)

Hi,

You can also use REVOSLEEP

http://revosleep.realspooky.de/

revoSleep lets your hard disk sleep in few seconds. You can lock different hard disks, so you can be sure they won't wake up.

Ask a Question