Windows 10 erases files without any notification

Reaction score
I have noticed this issue for a few days now. The issue occurs in the same PC.
I have my old Windows 8.1 system in an SSd drive, so I booted and took screenshots, reg settings and an entire backup, which I took in a folder on my backup drive. I then shut down my pc and changed startup hard drives (I have a tray system with interchangeable drives).
I booted using my newly created Windows 10 system and browsed the folder where I took my backups, .reg settings and .docx documents containing my notes for system configuration. The files were not there!
I first browsed the location for my reg files (Windows was still booting at that time) and saw the folder where the Entire backup was saved. After a while, I tried to go inside the folder and the system informed me that the folder was not there! All my files in that folder were gone!
Other older files were still there (backups and other items saved by the Windows 8.1 system).
I have no virus on both systems, no files available in the recycle bin (only SIDs that I can't access at all and Recycle bin size that *could* contain the backup files, almost 54 GB).
My question, is there any security feature, glitch or something else deleting my files?
I am very sure that the files were automatically erased by my Windows 10 system upon access or booting, some kind of security feature maybe.
Note: This is not random, it happens every time I do the same procedure (Save a file in Win 8.1, reboot into Win 10, try to access the file).

Reaction score
Windows 10 has a quirk about files and it can be solved, usually, in the power settings. In control panel, power settings there is a selection that allows to to change advanced power setting. You have to choose the setting that controls how Windows 10 boots. Windows 8.1 has that same quirk, especially with dual boot OS on the same computer.

In Power choose the "Choose what my power buttons do" and in there at the top center, last line will be "Change settings that are currently unavailable" click that.

Scroll down and you will see "Turn on Fast Startup (recommended)" Uncheck that. It saves stuff in a hibernation way that allows it to turn on faster, but since these things are in volatile ram memory, it may corrupt or loose files that way. Try that. Won't hurt a things and you can change it back later if you wish.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, I guess it is something entire different from what I thought! I found out that "something" stored in System Volume Information system "folder" changes as I swap disks. This security change forces Windows 10 to check the disk I last saved my files for errors (using chkdsk). The check always finds something wrong and moves the last saved files to found.000 folder (maybe missing a few). When I reboot once more to Windows 10 system I can find the files located in that folder.
I checked all my HDDS for errors using my Windows 10 system and "decommissioned" my old Windows 8.1 system.

Note: My HDDS did not actually have any errors, only security settings had changed because of the user saving the files on the disk. This is the first time I changed OS on my startup disk and my files became corrupted in the way I described above. I am using and supporting Windows systems since Windows 3.11!

Ask a Question