Windows 10 Fails to Boot After Update

Reaction score
After a critical update on the 20th, my computer will no longer boot. I have tried using this method to reset, i have also tried using the repair tools to return to windows 7, which fails as well. System restore also fails. My computer didnt come with recovery disks. I called tech support and they transferred me to sales so i could buy a clean copy of windows 10. Please help me get back to windows 7. I was a fool to upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I had a similar problem recently (windows 7) and I kept turning my pc off and back on repeatedly attempting to restart and after quite a few times I got a screen with 4 or 5 options One was recover One was repair but the one which worked was reset. I am not sure how I got that screen to appear but do not give up just keep after it and you might succeed.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I believe you can boot from the installation media and on the second screen after selecting language and keyboard layout, use the link that says Repair Your PC and use the Troubleshoot -> Advance Options to find several options that might help you.
The installation media can be obtain through either of these two resources.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.
My computer didnt come with recovery disks.
Depending on the computer manufacturer, you may be able to contact them and either, free (if under warranty), or for a nominal fee (if outside of warranty) secure recovery media from them to reset the computer to factory state.

Ask a Question