Windows 10 file explorer does not discover NAS

Reaction score
As the title says I am unable to "see" my NAS in windows explorer. I was able to use explorer to view/add/delete files on my NAS a few weeks ago but now now cannot even see the NAS in the network section.
Funny thing is that I am able to ping the server and even login to the GUI via IE and firefox. But i can't get the media files.

I am currently running the evaluation copy of Windows 10: Details:
- Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview
- version 1511
- OS build 10565.41737
- 64Bit
- Intel i&-2600 CPU with 24GB of RAM

I have tried the follow to correct the issue with no success:
- Rebooted windows 10 machine (several times)
- Rebooted Router (Actiontec V2000H)
- Rebooted NAS (FreeNAS 9.3)
- ipconfig /flushdns
- change from using PIN to password
- Change from password to PIN
- using regedit added the AllowInsecureGuestAuth = 1 to the registry.

Notes on NAS:
using Freenas 9.3, ZFS volume, enabled CIFS shares. do not require login to access media files (or any files). The server only has media files on it so no password required or enabled.

Notes on Network:
- The network is hardwired with Cat 5e cable (except for wireless printer)
- Windows 10 explorer is able to "see" other windows machines (windows 7 and 8), an Linus Ubuntu 14.04 machine, router (Actiontec V2000H, printer (wireless), AV receiver,
- the windows 7/8 machines are able to access the media files on the NAS with no issues and are able to see the windows 10 machine.
- the ubuntu 14.04 machine is able to access the media files on the NAS with no issues and is able to see the windows 10//8/7 machines on the network.

Any help or direction to try next would be greatly appreciated. I like windows 10 but it will be a show stopper if I cannot access my NAS from this Windows 10 machine.

Thanks

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! :)

If you enter the path manually into explorer are you able to view the NAS or any of the shares? i.e. //NAS/ or //192.168.1.2/ ?

Also, do you have network discovery turned on for the appropriate profiles in Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change Advanced Sharing Settings?

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Ian.

Yes when I type in \\ipaddress I can view the NAS files. For now, what I have done is mapped the NAS to a network drive. However this seems like a work around rather than a solution as the NAS still does not show up in the Network section of the explorer tree.

Also network discovery is turned on and I am able to see other computers on the network.

thanks again.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Very puzzling! Is NetBIOS enabled?

Can you check by doing this please:
  • Go to Control Panel >Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center >Change Adapter Settings
  • Right click Network Adapter >Properties
  • Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) > Properties >Advanced >WINS
  • Select "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" then click OK.

Reaction score
Thanks Ian. However I tried that already and it currently sitting at enabled.
I have no idea as to what happened or what i did. Fortunately i can still access the NAS by going direct.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you have the ability to explicitly add the UserName and associated Password that you are using on the Windows 10 machine on the NAS and grant that account the appropriate permissions needed to access the NAS resources?

Ask a Question