Windows 10, Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving

Reaction score
2 out of the 3 computers at work I have installed Windows 10 Pro on, have an issue of when I reboot the computer, the desktop icons, that were arranged in a certain way, have now all moved to the very left of the desktop. I am running Classic Shell on the machines and so get a desktop view immediately when booting. It's annoying. Windows 8.1 does not do this.

My work computer has both XP and Windows 10 PRO on it as a dual boot. It had a Windows 10 preview edition on it since back in April or May. Then when we decided to move into Windows 10, I merely bought a DVD of Win 10 Pro and when running in that preview OS on the one partition I installed the DVD and did and upgrade. Works fine, but every once in a while I see the explorer view of folders and when I close the folder {X} it magically appears again and click the X again to close it.

Many at the Microsoft site have complained of this very issue.

Has anyone experienced it and more importantly a work around?

For the time I installed a program called DesktopOK ver 4.16 on the one computer and seems to be holding it's own so far (no moving icons back over to the extreme left.

Reaction score
And just to clarity, you don't have "Auto arrange icons" enabled?

Windows 7 is right click desktop under view, Windows 10 should be the same.

I wouldn't think it was the screen resolution changing, that wouldn't force them to the far left. They would simply move just far enough that they were still on the screen, when the resolution was at its smallest.

Reaction score
Nope, auto arrange in unchecked as is "lock to grid". MANY have had this issue. Screen resolution is not changed.

Reaction score
THIS IS THE FIX:

A FIX WAS FOUND ON THE ESET WEBSITE
I will provide the FIX here and walk you through it
FIX was found by AREZCO

In regedit go to those 2 destinations

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{42aedc87-2188-41fd-b9a3-0c966feabec1}\InProcServer32\
and
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{42aedc87-2188-41fd-b9a3-0c966feabec1}\InProcServer32\

Double click on (Default) and replace "%SystemRoot%\SysWow64\shell32.dll" with "%SystemRoot%\system32\windows.storage.dll" in both file destinations then restart your PC and everything should work fine !!

HOWEVER you need to have permisson to change the value of those keys so to that follow these instructions:

You need to give yourself permission to edit the registry keys
Start by right-clicking on the last sub-key which in this case is InProcServer32 and click on Permissions the Advanced then change Ownership to yourself.
Assuming you're on Windows 10 click on Change -> Advanced again -> Find Now -> Administrators.
Then tick the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and also "Replace all child object permission entries..."
Click OK
Then select "Administrators" in the Permissions window you first opened and tick "Full Control" then hit OK
Do that to the InProcServer32 folder and the {42aedc87-2188-41fd-b9a3-0c966feabec1} in both HKEY paths

Credit to the above as well as: Mr. David - Th3Sh0W.

Reaction score
I wonder why an Anti Virus like Eset would make this much difference on those 2 registry keys?

Ask a Question