Windows 10 "free upgrade" and cd driver issues......for the millionth time??????

Reaction score
Windows 10 "free" upgrade is about to turn me into a Mac fan. I've owned this laptop for a few years with ZERO problems until I erroneously did this "free" upgrade which has cost me more in time than a new PC would have cost....several times over. I absolutely cannot find a concrete answer to the questions that has been asked MANY times all over the internet. My computer no longer acknowledges my CD drive period. This problem is apparently VERY common and I honestly haven's seen a simple solution. I'm not a computer expert, I'm a finance expert, so talking in mystical IT talk does absolutely no good. Is there a simple resolution or should I just go to the "dark side"??? Please help, beyond aggravated user.

Reaction score
My advice, especially if it's an older laptop, is to reinstall the previous OS. A lot of laptop manufactures (and some desktop manufactures) refuse to update the drivers for older models. The only other thing I would suggest is to find the specific model of your CD drive, and search for a firmware update. Microsoft deserves blame for a lot of things, but this most likely isn't one of them.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi howyadoiaz,

You're correct to note this is an issue exhaustively covered within multiple forums. In fact this is an issue that arose back with Windows 7, got resolved, then reappeared with the release of Windows 8.1, and again got resolved.

You'll see here (if you have not all ready read this site) that Microsoft provided 5 options for resolving this kind of of issue for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users. They even provided a Fixit tool in one scenario. However it would be unwise to use that tool with Windows 10 as Microsoft does not recommend this fix option for the Windows 10 OS at this stage. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314060

However on that same page is a suggestion that has worked for many Windows 10 Users running HP, Dell, and other popular branded Laptops. This suggestion is Option 5 on that website above.

You asked for a simple fix so given that particular option seems to be helping a lot of users its certainly worth trying in your case. So follow these steps and see if it resolves your issue:
  • Press Winkey + X
  • Select Command Prompt (Admin) | Click yes when prompted
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt window that opens type, or copy & paste the following command:
reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
  • Now press Enter key to execute the command
  • Next press F5 key to refresh Registry
  • Next type Exit | then press Enter key to close the Administrator: Command Prompt window
  • Finally reboot your computer

If all goes well you will now be able to see that CD drive and use it.

Note: If this does not resolve your issue you can repeat the steps above to remove the Subkey and DWORD value you just added to your Registry by replacing the command you used to add it with this command to delete it:
  • reg.exe delete "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f

Let us know how you go.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
You could also try the attached. Rename and remove the ".txt" on the end. This was only added for the purposes of uploading to the forum. The troubleshooter has worked for some.

Attachments

• CDDVDWin10.meta.diagcab.txt
    623.3 KB · Views: 677

Ask a Question