Windows 10 Freezes And Have To Reboot

Reaction score
I am experiencing a consistent issue with Windows 10 where the computer runs okay, but then it suddenly freezes where I cannot do a thing. So I am not able to save my work or project I am working and lose all my data that I was working on. I then have to reboot the system to get Windows operational once again. This is irritating and I don't know what is causing this issue, but it happens on a daily basis. HELP !!!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not a whole lot to go on there.
"computer freezes", and there could be any number of hardware, software or a combination of the two, that may be causing it.

My recommendation is to first try a clean boot. You can follow the instructions for Windows 8 / 8.1 here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
If the computer doesn't freeze in a clean boot configuration then, that is when your work begins.
Sorting through the various start up programs, and or services that you have disabled to determine which one or combination of ones it may be.

If it continues to freeze, even in a clean boot configuration then you're going to have to take a look at your hardware with an emphasis on system cooling.
AND
Of course if you are currently using any system over clocks (GPU, CPU, memory, etc.) then please set them back to normal / standard / default settings.

Reaction score
Mine kept freezing, turned out 10 doesn't like the WiFi card I had in. Pulled it out and ran a cable direct to the router, has been fine ever since. It is a TP-LINK TL-WN751ND - Qualcomm Atheros based card.

Reaction score
My Dell computer also started freezing every now and then after upgrading to Windows 10. During the 10 upgrade it successfully updated all my drivers with the exception of Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST). I manually updated this from the Intel web site in November 2015. The freezing occurred almost every day. I got tired of it last week and happened to go to the Intel website and found a new RST driver dated December 2015. I installed this and it appears to have solved the problem. The computer is fast, browsing is immediate, and I've had no more freezing. In the past, every major issue with Microsoft Windows has been due to a hardware driver, and this was no exception.

ALS

Reaction score
I also suspect RST driver. mine is not working also. It's for Raid. But I am not using it.

Reaction score
I have exactly the same am problem, suddenly freezes, once, on a daily basis, usually a short time after first launch. Second launch usually OK. Annoying. It refers to an two years old assembled pc based on a low-end mini itx msi quad processor board J1900i. Everything is onboard, no HW adds and it runs ice cold. I did a W10 clean install swapping hdd against a new excellent hypex ssd. MSI delivers an excellent drive manager which installed all drivers compatible to W10 (including new Bios) and so I had zero driver conflics. Router connection is via cable. At the beginning of the clean W10 install I had zero problems. This freeze thing arrived a bit later after reinstalling programs. So I suppose it comes from one of many new SW installs I did, possibly nothing in relation to HW or FW problems.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am experiencing a consistent issue with Windows 10 where the computer runs okay, but then it suddenly freezes where I cannot do a thing. So I am not able to save my work or project I am working and lose all my data that I was working on. I then have to reboot the system to get Windows operational once again. This is irritating and I don't know what is causing this issue, but it happens on a daily basis. HELP !!!!
Uhhhh....Before you go thru the suggestions made here and find that none of them work I suggest you try the following: It would seem Microsoft in Windows 10 has tried to reduce system power consumption by providing a power setting for the CPU. It is by default set for a minimum of 15% and max of 100%. Most dual core processors are very unhappy with the 15% min setting. When you try to play videos on the Internet or sometimes just playing around with a number of windows or programs open Windows 10 locks up seemingly without cause. Checking the logs gives no clue for the problem source. The culprit is the low power setting. Go into power settings. Then click on advanced power settings. Scroll down to CPU management. Reset the minimum power setting to at least 70% if you care to be power stingy. Save the new setting. This should end the problem. If not try 100%. Your prior Windows software did not regulate the CPU so you would be setting the CPU up as it was before your Windows 10 upgrade.

Ask a Question