Windows 10 freezing new dell laptop

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a 3 month old dell inspiron 14 inch 3452 laptop, that is having severe freezing problems. Here are the stats:
windows 10 home
Intel Pentium CPU N3700
1.60 GHz
64 bit
4GB Ram
The first month of use, my laptop performed just fine. Then, I started having problems with win 10 updates; error messages, incompleted/failed installations/downloads, etc.
Finally I did a reset; had to re-install all my programs, etc.
At this point, my laptop worked great for about 2 days, no freezing, and updates seemed to be working properly.
Then freezing started in again, 6-7 times in a day, which, as you can imagine is extremely frustrating under any circumstances, and especially when I run a business out of my home, and depend on my laptop functioning correctly.
I did forced shutdowns, then restarted, however freezing persisted.
2 days ago, I contacted Dell live chat tech support, 2 different techs did troubleshooting, including updating the bios from 4.0.3 to 4.0.4.
For 1 day after that my laptop worked fine, no freezing issues.
The next day, back to freezing.
Back to the dell tech support chat; this tech told me the other techs did all they could with troubleshooting, he insisted that we do a reset, and said he was sure that would fix the freezing.
I told him I already did a reset, and the freezing persisted.
What I would like to know is: can I set up this laptop to dual boot? My dell desktop pc is running windows 8.1, with no problems and no freezing. At this point, I dislike windows 10 for numerous reasons.
I would like to be able to install windows 8.1 as well as keep windows 10 that came preinstalled on my laptop; and have the option to dual boot into my choice of os windows 8.1
Was able to download win 8.1 from msoft site using a usb stick, and the ms media creation tool, however couldn't get past part of the install to my laptop, got error msgs.
The dell tech person this morning assured me that I could indeed install win 8.1 on my win 10 laptop, and gave me the phone number to the dell concierge service.
I just got off the phone with dell concierge support; they told me"dell does not recommend or support dual booting on this laptop." I feel very frustrated that I paid $300.00 for this laptop, and it does not even function correctly. Even if I purchase something for $10.00 I still expect the product to work, and if it doesn't, I feel like the company/manufacturer should make it right.
So....my question is, Is there a way I can download and install windows 8.1 on my new dell laptop which came preinstalled with windows 10, so that I can dual boot into win 8.1?
After scouring the web for several weeks, it looks as though the windows 10/windows 10 updates seem to be causing the freezing problem.
As an aside, I dislike the way msoft has set up the updates process in win 10, so the user does not have any say so as to which updates to install, and no option to choose to automatically dld/install, or auto dld but ask before install, or just notify of updates needed, but allow user to choose to both dld and install, the latter of which I have my dell win 8.1 pc set up to do.
I hope you guys can assist me with all of this!
Eager to hear if there is a way I can indeed set up my laptop to dual boot; install win 8.1 alongside dear little windows 10!
Thank you all so much for your help. I sure appreciate this forum, and all those who graciously volunteer their time to "administer" the forum.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum and thank you for taking the time to join our community.
Now.....
For some semi-bad news.
That processor is common in lower end budget laptops and is never, ever, going to be a good performer for you.
What you might want to try, is clean booting your system as described here
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Easily done, easily undone.
Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.

Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.

After configuring your machine to Clean Boot, run it like that for a day or two. IF that seems to provide any relief from the problem you will then have to take some time and determine what the offending program, service / process might be.
Carefully and deliberately one non-Microsoft service at a time or in very small groups re-enable them, rebooting after each change to observe any changes. Then graduate to the Startup items again rebooting after each change.
Understanding that in some cases, a Startup item may have a non-microsoft service associated with it and as a result you may not notice the impact until both the Startup item and the service are re-enabled.

NOTE: This may or may not impact any third party security / antivirus suites installed on your system. These can often be resource hogs and you might want to consider uninstalling them if present, including running their vendor specific and proprietary removal tool to eliminate any remnants. At least temporarily while testing (you can always reinstall them later), relying instead on the native Windows Defender and Windows Firewall products briefly until you can sort through any issues.

Ask a Question