Windows 10 goes blank after a few seconds

Reaction score
I installed windows 10 in my laptop. But everytime i open it. It will show the desktop icons and all of my apps for few seconds then it will go blank. I cant do anything from my laptop. Its just plain black

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
my laptop
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You need to tell us something about "my laptop".
Manufacturer's Name, Model Name, Model Number (complete model number).
You previous operating system? 7 or 8?
I'm assuming an upgrade, so..... Has this been a problem since the first day of the upgrade or has it just started recently.
Do you have all your windows updates current as of today.
It sounds to me like it is not recovering completely or properly from some power / energy saving mode.
My first suggestion would be to turn it off, if it's on, unplug it from the wall, remove the battery, press and hold the power button and count to 30.
Replace the battery, plug it back into the wall and turn it on.
Does it start normally? Do you see any messages referencing an improper shutdown or other error events?

Reaction score
Yah i just downloaded it. And it started to do that. My laptop is a hp pavilion g6-1337sa. I did what you told me to do but nothing happened. After it loaded it just went blank again. Its a window 7. How do i find my model number? Can i just go back to windows 7. Havent got any problem with it. Yah its updated. Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can i just go back to windows 7.
Sure, but if your laptop won't display the shell interface you'll likely have to boot from the installation media and use the advance trouble shooting options from the repair your pc screen in order to do it.

The installation media can be obtain through either of these two resources.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If i stay on windows 10 do you have a solution on my problem?
I doubt it!
You could have hours if not days of troubleshooting ahead of you and even then you still may not find a solution.
It will show the desktop icons and all of my apps for few seconds then it will go blank
I assume that this happens as the desktop loads right after you login. My suggestion would be ......
Don't login.
Use the ower icon to restart the computer while holding the Shift key and boot the computer into plain old Safe Mode (choice #4 on the menu, when you get to it)
See if your computer has the same symptoms while running in Safe Mode.
https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/safe-mode.3/
same deal..... shift + restart and follow the bouncing ball to get to safemode.

Reaction score
INSTEAD OF GIVING STUPID INSTRUCTIONS THAT ONLY A SOFTWARE ENGINEER CAN FIX JUST SUPPLY A FIX TO THIS PROBLEM. I EXPECTED MORE FROM MICROSOFT. YES I AM SHOUTING BECAUSE I AM SO ANGRY.

Ask a Question