Windows 10 help needed (urgent)

Reaction score
Hello, i recently upgraded to windows 10, and i really wish i hadn't. It seems everything is messing up. First, when i play Hotline miami, the sound will cut out around ten minutes in (in my headphones). I will go into playback devices, and check my headphones. It will say "audio device in use, please close all programs currently running sound. After a quick fiddle with realtek, i can usually return sound to my headphones. But this is just the start. To try and fix this, i also tried to see if there was a windows 10 update, but when i tried to go into windows update, i get an error message saying "element not found". Also, i can not click on certain windows icons "settings, etc" I need urgent help, and i would happily like any tips regarding windows 10 and the process of smoothing out the rough edges, so to speak.
Thanks,
Noah

Bif

Reaction score
Hello, i recently upgraded to windows 10, and i really wish i hadn't. It seems everything is messing up. First, when i play Hotline miami, the sound will cut out around ten minutes in (in my headphones). I will go into playback devices, and check my headphones. It will say "audio device in use, please close all programs currently running sound. After a quick fiddle with realtek, i can usually return sound to my headphones. But this is just the start. To try and fix this, i also tried to see if there was a windows 10 update, but when i tried to go into windows update, i get an error message saying "element not found". Also, i can not click on certain windows icons "settings, etc" I need urgent help, and i would happily like any tips regarding windows 10 and the process of smoothing out the rough edges, so to speak.
Thanks,
Noah
Hi there and welcome!
First off I want to suggest simply scouring the threads on this forum for all of your questions have been either answered and solved or are in an ongoing troubleshooting thread,a wealth of info to be had!Either type your query into the search feature (which admittedly doesn't work very well!) or simply Google your specific question with "Windows 10 Forum: at the end and all will come up.
and just to add..this isn't an urgent problem by any stretch...the blue screen of death,black screen with nothing,all of your data being deleted or sparks spitting out of the exhaust ports would be an urgent issue ;-)

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Texas Tech..... welcome.
My advice.......
Click the Start Button -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Left Column "Recovery" and roll back to your previous version of Windows.

I would suggest before doing so, or for that matter doing anything else going forward that you take steps to secure a disk image of your current install.
Ideally, you would have done that before upgrading, so going back would be considerably easier and less fraught with potential problems.

There are any number of troubleshooting options available to you.
Driver updates (BIOS, Chipset, storage controllers, etc., etc.,)
The native System File Checker
System Restore
PC Reset
In-Place upgrade / repair install
And any of them may help with your current issue(s), or could and I said "could" further exacerbate the problem making things worse instead of better.
Windows 10 is not functioning properly
But this is just the start. To try and fix this, i also tried to see if there was a windows 10 update, but when i tried to go into windows update, i get an error message saying "element not found". Also, i can not click on certain windows icons "settings, etc" I need urgent help,
And I think it is certainly more than just "smoothing out rough edges", rolling back to your previous version of Windows may be the best option available.

Ask a Question