Windows 10 HyperV disgrace

Reaction score
After a few frustrating moments wondering why my memory usage was 3 times higher than normal at a fresh boot, I discover HyperV was using memory regardless of whether there was a virtual machine in use. Instead of the normal 1.1GB memory usage, I was looking at 3GB usage. That's 25% of my 8GB not being used at all while I do other things. No wonder people think they need 16GB or 32GB of memory. There is no sense in an application being programmed to waste memory this way while not actually being used.

I don't plan on using virtual machines every day. I can't afford the loss of having HyperV installed.

Reaction score
I certainly agree with what you say "There is no sense in an application being programmed to waste memory this way while not actually being used" I'm glad you found the hog.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I use Hyper-V extensively.
I also make sure that all the services associated with Hyper-V are changed as applicable, from Auto to Manual.
That way when I launch Hyper-V, I just use "Start Service" from the right column "Actions" menu. When I'm done, stop the service.
As a result I haven't noticed any unwanted or unnecessary resource usage

Reaction score
In Clifford's PC environment, Hyper V is like putting All Terrain tires on a Smart for 2 car. All available tools are great if you have a requirement and use them. In clifford's case he has no intention of using it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I wasn't aware that Hyper-V was active at all in a normal install of Windows 10.
Every time I've ever employed it, I always went to Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off and checked the appropriate boxes to make it work properly.
And since that action is intentional on my part, I manage it intentionally.
Just like I would with TeamViewer or Ccleaner (monitoring). I simply don't allow things to run or start a process or service that I don't want, if I can prevent it at all.
Acronis is another good example, I never use Acronis Nonstop Backup Service, so I disable it along with the Sync Agent Service, leaving only the Schedule2 Service surviving.

Reaction score
Every time I've ever employed it, I always went to Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off and checked the appropriate boxes to make it work properly.
Sorry for the confusion, I did install HyperV. But with the high resource usage while not actually using it, I can't continue to keep it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK... understandable, but.....
Have you taken a look in
services.msc
And set all the Hyper-V related services to "Manual" and then stopped any that might be running?
It works for me. I don't see any Hyper-V stuff running in task manager -> processes

Reaction score
Have you taken a look in
services.msc
No I haven't because even myself after 25 years of computer experience gets confused as to which service goes to which application. Microsoft can not expect users to play around in crap they don't know what is for. You would think after 3 decades they would know the user needs to have settings in the application for controlling the application. But no since it's a Microsoft product they embed control in the operating system. No thank you, I don't want to spend the next few days reinstalling the OS because of a setting that should have been in the application.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK..... makes sense to me, although.....
I would expect something similar in the event you had chosen a third party virtual machine solution.
I used to actually pay for VMware Workstation and although it has been a while, I think it did load up some sundry services and processes out of the box.
I guess it's a roses and thorns kind of thing, although some de-thorning can be employed to make things a little friendlier to handle.

Reaction score
I wasn't aware that Hyper-V was active at all in a normal install of Windows 10.
And since that action is intentional on my part, I manage it intentionally.
Just like I would with TeamViewer or Ccleaner (monitoring). I simply don't allow things to run or start a process or service that I don't want, if I can prevent it at all.
Acronis is another good example, I never use Acronis Nonstop Backup Service, so I disable it along with the Sync Agent Service, leaving only the Schedule2 Service surviving.

When you actually take a look (services) it's amazing how many unnecessary services are actually running in the background.

Ask a Question