Windows 10 Icons Disappeared

Reaction score
I have an HP laptop 1 yr old and have just recently installed the latest version of Windows 10. Everything was ok, until I turned it off one night, then turned it on the next morning. After logging in with my pass word it displayed a message on the screen...

C:\WINDOWS system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is on this PC make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted and then try again. If the location is on a network make sure you're connected to the network or internet and then try again. If the location can't be found it might have been moved or deleted.

I did not do anything out of the ordinary the night before this appeared.

I can see my programs/icons on the start menu, but the main screen/desktop only has the theme picture and no icons except for the recycle bin icon.

Any ideas on how to fix this and get my Desktop back again would be appreciated.

thank you

Reaction score
I would run a system file check.
1. First I would attempt to do a system restore.
2. Verify and repair files. Run sfc /scannow.
Right click on start, from the menu select Command Prompt (Admin)
At the elevated command prompt Type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes) it will verify / repair system files.

Ask a Question