SOLVED Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10240

Reaction score
Hello all,
I installed the Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10162 yesterday. (I was since April Insider.)
But my question is: how can I get the Windows 10 RTM (/Insider Preview Build 10240)?
Already thanks for the answers!
Best regards,
Jordy.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Is your copy of 10162 activated? If so, then all you should have to do is go to: settings>update&security>check for updates. MS is only allowing users the upgrade path for new builds now (for insiders) until the 29th release of the RTM and even then that will be an upgrade path install. MS has stated that after the upgrade of the RTM you would be given the option of doing a clean install but we're not quite sure of the in's and outs of that method.

Reaction score
Hi,
I did this a few times, but I don't ge"t that update/upgrade.
My preview is activated.
What's the problem now?

Reaction score
Jordy,
1. First and foremost......
Insider Preview 10240 is just another preview build.
It is NOT Windows 10 RTM.
Windows 10 RTM will not be released until July 29th of this year.

2. You said your build 10162 is activated.
Please make sure of that fact by......
left click at Start button > click Settings > click Update & Security > left side, click Activation.
Does it say " Windows is activated " ?

Reaction score
Hello,
It says in dutch: "Windows is geactiveerd". The translations of that sentences is: "Windows is activated".
So, that is a fact.

Reaction score
You said " installed the Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10162 yesterday"
Your "yesterday" would be July 17th. Yes ?
If so, I am curious of how you get to install build 10162.
Build 10162 and 10166 were supposed to be removed from Windows Update 24 hrs after July 13th. And all pre-release keys are de-activated at the same time.
excerpt..... Source

• Builds 10162 and 10166 will no longer be offered over Windows Update, and whatever build you’re on will show as “up to date” if you check for new builds.
  • ISOs for build 10162 will be taken down from the http://insider.windows.com site and prerelease keys will no longer activate builds.

Reaction score
Hi Davidhk129,
My "yesterday" is the 17th of July 2015, yes.
I downloaded the .iso-file the 9th or the 10th of July 2015.
The licensekey / the activationkey worked good.
(I said in my original post: "I'm Insider since April 2015".)

I hope you understoot me, because I normally speak Dutch. I'm 14 years old and I am not very good in English at school.

Reaction score
Thank you.
That explains how you get to install 10162 on 17th.
Your English is better than mine and I understood what you said perfectly.
I am a Chinese.

Reaction score
I've a new question/problem in the same topic!
It's the following:
I've got an message that said: "Downloadng Insider-version, your attention for settings in Insider-versions". But that downloading has a duration from longer than 4,5 hours.
What the problem here and what can I do?

Reaction score
I've a new question/problem in the same topic!
It's the following:
I've got an message that said: "Downloadng Insider-version, your attention for settings in Insider-versions". But that downloading has a duration from longer than 4,5 hours.
What the problem here and what can I do?

Sorry.
This translated message is not something I have ever seen before.
Seems like the real message is lost over the translation.

"But that downloading has a duration from longer than 4,5 hours."
Are you downloading build 10240 ?
The duration varies depending of the internet provider you are using.
I am not knowledgeable in that particular subject.
Other members will be able to explain the speed of downloading better.

Reaction score
Hi David and others,
This download isn't already finished. (I hope that's a correct sentences.)
The download from the .iso-file with the Insider Preview Build 10162 had a duration from two hours and a half.
How many gigabytes has the update?
You asked me too if it is the Insider Preview Build 10240, but I don't know what build it is. The buildnumber isn't added in that message.

Reaction score
Have you possibly omitted some of the message, or joined two into one.......?

I think, it would have said something like "your MS account needs some attention"
"Downloading insider.version", and the remainder, even allowing for a bad translation, is not a known message you would receive.

1. Are you 100% certain that you are, in fact, downloading from the insider program, and from the "Settings - Updates"
2. It should indicate, on the download in the section I refer to, exactly which build you are downloading. Somewhere in the text will be en_windows_10_pro_10240_x64...etc.

In your case, the "en" could be different
3. You will probably find, if your download is successful, that you will be unable to activate it. All the MS activation servers have been suspended until the 29th.
4. In addition, and as always from MS, the situation is absolutely clear, but you may find your download does not complete. Builds have also been suspended, awaiting the RTM on the 29th.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello All,
My problem is solved. I wanted to be to fast!
Yesterdayevening is Windows begon upgrading the "Insider Preview"-version.
If I press WindowsKey+R and I type winver.exe , than comes the following message: "Windows 10 Insider Preview (build 10240)". Yesterdaymorning and -afternoon cames the same messages, but the buildnumber was then 10162.
I will say "Thank you" at everybody who helps me.

Ask a Question