Windows 10 insists on a password

Reaction score
I have turned off the password requirement on the Windows 10 Preview (Build 10122), but the system still insists on a password when Windows starts. I have checked the Password setting, and it is set to not require a password. Also, I am the only user, but at Windows startup it still defaults to "Other user". As there is no other user, how do I stop this happening? If I go into the Users settings, I am the only one showing there.

Reaction score
Did you do it this way ?.........................
Right click at Start button > select Run > type netplwiz in the box > OK > UNcheck the box " User must enter username and password to use this computer > OK > in the next window, enter your username and password > confirm your password > OK

Reaction score
Yes. I have used this netplwiz for years, and it has always worked fine, but it did not help this time.

Reaction score
See if this will help.......
( I am, using build 10130. But I don't think that will matter ).

Start > Settings > Accounts > Sig-in options > under Require sign-in, does the box say Never ?
If not, click the pointer and select Never.

Reaction score
It is already set for Never, and has been for days. I even tried it all again a few minutes ago, and regardless of those settings assuring me that no password is required, a password is demanded each time Windows 10 starts.

Reaction score
I just tried the methods on my computer and reboot.
Yes, it did default to Other User, and like you, I am the only user.
So I just let the white dots running in circle. That took awhile,
Eventually it led me to my desktop. No password needed.

Reaction score
I just restarted the computer to make sure.
No password required.
Perhaps it's time to do a system file check ( sfc /scannow ) ?

Reaction score
I had already run scannow and all is well. I just did a cold reboot on the Win10 computer, and leaving it run for a while still leaves me with a screen that says:

Other user
The user name or password is incorrect. Try again.

When I click the OK button below that, it takes me to my own user account entry page, which insists on a password before letting me go any further. Entering the password then gives me full access.

Reaction score
............The user name or password is incorrect. Try again.............

I didn't have that message when it sent me to Other User.
Just white dots running in circle.

It has to have something to do with the way you set up your account.
Sorry, I am not capable to help you.

Reaction score
B uild 10130 is downloading now, so I'll see if that build makes any difference. Meanwhile, I'm outta here until tomorrow.

Reaction score
Problem solved. I deleted my Microsoft account, which left me with only my Windows account on this PC. I then got a message that My Account needed my attention, opened that, selected Use another account to open Windows, and when it asked for a password I just clicked Next without entering one. Voila! It now boots directly into Windows desktop.

Thanks for all the input on this subject; it was truly appreciated.

Ask a Question