Windows 10 installation!

Reaction score
Hello forum members and tech support, My "wave" came in yesterday and I downloaded and installed Windows 10 on my HP 23 Pavilion All in One computer. It took 1 hour and 10 minutes to finish. The installation appeared to be completely normal. Then when the computer turned on for actual use, I had my Windows Home screen and all it would do is flash about once each second. I was unable to do anything. Finally I used the power switch just to force it to turn off. I waited a while and turned it on again, several times now, and the same thing. I'm guessing some kind of incompatibility problem, but have no clue as to what the problem really is because there is no way to troubleshoot the situation. Previously I was running Win 8.1 and it was completely stable with no problems for the last two years. Any help will be sincerely appreciated. Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
That sounds to me like a driver issue.
AiO's are notorious for having dongles attached to support Bluetooth wireless mice and keyboards.
If you have such a device plugged into your computer, unplug it.
As a matter of fact if you have any peripherals plugged into your computer, other than a USB Keyboard and Mouse.....
Unplug them as well.

Reaction score
I just upgraded to the Windows 10 works well except all the speakers, I have no sound.

Know how to I can fix it?

Reaction score
Friday, Aug 7th----Hi Trouble, Thanks for the reply. I did have a Fitbit Dongle installed. I removed it to no avail. All the symtoms are still there. Along the line of your reasoning, I will try a wired keyboard but I don't have one anymore. I will have to borrow a wired keyboard and try again. I thought Win 10 was supposed to be compatible and interactive with everything out there. I was having perfect luck with Win 8.1 and wish I had never heard of Win 10.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
wish I had never heard of Win 10.
Somehow I don't think you're alone in that.
Unfortunately we will very rarely if ever hear from those folks who are happily enjoying their Windows 10 machines (post upgrade).
There must be some out there somewhere.
Microsoft's proclamation of " 1 billion " upgrades is ringing pretty hollow from where I'm setting. I can't even begin to estimate the number of people across the web in various forums who have already abandoned Windows 10 and used the Settings -> Recovery options to go back to their previous OS.

Reaction score
Friday, August 7th----Hi again Trouble, Just this minute I got a wired keyboard and tried again. I thought at first it was going to work but then the flashing started again. I would definitely do a System Restore if I could make the computer work long enough to do it. I can just see myself carrying my 23 inch computer to the Microsoft store and standing in a line of 1000 people. I'm wondering who the heck do you talk to for resolution of a problem like this? I'm sure the MSFT Tech Reps will charge me $75.00 per hour to resolve a problem they created. Anyway, thanks for trying to help. Paul

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I thought at first it was going to work but then the flashing started again.
You did remove the dongle that supports the wireless keyboard, right?
Can you possibly boot to safemode. Holding down the shift key while clicking restart. I don't even know if it will work long enough for that but it might be worth a try. You can even do it from the login screen, there should be a power icon there.

Reaction score
I'm one of those who has 10 working OK after messing and tweaking for a week..........

I have 1 external HD, 2 USB sticks, a USB keyboard and a USB mouse connected to this HP laptop, matter fact everything was connected while I was doing the update, I did do the upgrade via the full ISO download though and the setup burned to DVD along with a USB installer too. I had some problems with my browsers at first too, but they corrected on FF and IE after using Chrome on a few sites that would open. I had some games that didn't want to work, found going to the folder using file explorer and clicking the exe did work, have since re pasted the exe to my game folder. the only other thing was my security suite, COMODO, they released a "fix" yesterday and now that's running fine again.

Have re done some GUI stuff for my own taste ie the W10 desktop, and took ownership of the usual folders that won't let you in. Have had no other issues every other program that was carried over is working on 10 as it was on 8.1, incl all 32bit stuff.

One thing I always do is make a "FULL IMAGE" of my current system before i do anything that entails drastic changes or large updates/upgrades, so I can always go back to a prior setup. If you had/have made a USB boot stick and had done an Image even with the built in W7 imaging , you could already have recovered your system, as it doesn't need to boot into windows, the USB stick is your bootable media, and from there select the USB drive that has your Image to recover. I use 2 separate Imaging programs, the built in W7, and AOMEI Backuppe, both have been used to recover and work well. matter fact I had to use the boot stick and the Image I made of W10 just 24 hrs after installing 10 cause i hosed up the network trying to uninstall/reinstall this COMODO suite, the Image got me back to where I was with 10 with no problem. I learned the hard way years ago when I lost my full drive and had to spend 36 hrs straight re doing my system, never want to experience that again.

So yeah, there are some that have the monster tamed lolol :) In my case though I never leave well enough alone, I'm constantly installing software and tweaking my system one way or another esp with graphics, I can't help it :)

Good luck to the rest of you, I'm sure it will work out, I remember well how much fun W8 was when it first hit the street :)

Reaction score
Friday, August 7th---Hi again Trouble, Yes, I had every Dongle removed and hooked up a wired keyboard. The only thing that was even slightly different is that it took about 4 seconds for the flashing to start, where before it was instataneous. I'm going to be really busy the next several days so it's just going to have to be on the back burner for awhile. Thanks again for your help. Paul

Ask a Question