SOLVED Windows 10 ISO

Reaction score
ISO is just short for ISO9660, the name of the standard specification for CDs.
An ISO image (or .ISO file) is a computer file that is an exact copy of an existing file system. An ISO can contain the entire contents of a CD-ROM disc or CD medium.

Google for more .

Reaction score
Alri
ISO is just short for ISO9660, the name of the standard specification for CDs.
An ISO image (or .ISO file) is a computer file that is an exact copy of an existing file system. An ISO can contain the entire contents of a CD-ROM disc or CD medium.

Google for more .

Alright, you have probably answered my first question already, but, anyway: So, ---- ISO is not an acronym for any thing, correct?

Gracias!!!!
~~~~ @pinellas2015 ~~~~

Reaction score
I just learned several things here:
1. I am not the only one who did not fully understand this.
2, .iso is an actual computer file.
3. The acronym ISO which I have a directory to look up is meaningless to me.
4. davidhk129 has by far the best explanation of this I have seen.
Isn't higher learning wonderful?

Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image
An ISO image is an archive file of an optical disc, a type of disk image composed of the data contents from every written sector on an optical disc, including the optical disc file system.[1] ISO image files usually have a file extension of .iso. The name ISO is taken from the ISO 9660 file system used with CD-ROM media, but what is known as an ISO image might also contain a UDF (ISO/IEC 13346) file system (commonly used by DVDs and Blu-ray Discs).

ISO images can be created from optical discs by disk imaging software, or from a collection of files by optical disc authoring software, or from a different disk image file by means of conversion. Software distributed on bootable discs is often available for download in ISO image format. And like any other ISO image, it may be written to an optical disc such as CD or DVD.

Reaction score
Trouble is on the money.

The International Standards Organization examine and classify many items, all of which are then labelled ISO xxxx.
But, today, in the field of installation media, it has become just a name. For example, this is what the organisation says about itself
"International Standards ensure that products and services are safe, reliable and of good quality. For business, they are strategic tools that reduce costs by minimizing waste and errors and increasing productivity"

This is, when you visualise the number of pirated an fraudulent ISOs of all description, available through torrents etc, is now a big laugh.

Ask a Question