Windows 10 Latest Update broke my start menu and battery charging

Reaction score
Ever since I installed the latest "service pack" of Windows 10, my start menu doesn't work and my battery doesn't charge. Has anyone else had this happen? How do I fix it? I've found work arounds for the start menu creating links on my desktop to my personal start menu and the all users start menu. For now, I just need to leave my computer plugged in. I've fixed the plugged in not charging in the past. But in the past, I've always had a laptop that has a removable battery. This laptop doesn't. But since all this is due to the major upgrade of 10, seems like there has to be a simple or common fix.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Right click the Start Button and choose System
From the left Column choose System Protection
Click the System Restore Button
Select Choose a different restore point
Click Next
Check the box that says Show more restore point
Choose a restore point prior to the upgrade
Click the Next button
See if the resolves the immediate problem.

Reaction score
I tried that. It didnt work. I tried to restore right before the update. Also a day before. No luck. (I never liked the system restore and find it almost never works to actually fix an issue.)

I did fix my start menu. I created a new Windows profile and moved my files to the new profile. But my battery is still broke. Currently, I am attempting a battery recalibration using the lenovo energy manager.

Reaction score
Battery calibration didn't work. I took the kind of extreme and reloaded my factory software using the built-in lenovo utility.... But I chose the option that said to preserve my files (even though I do have a very good backup in place if I did have to reload... Just a pain.). That so far hasn't helped. Maybe my battery coincidently broke for unrelated reasons during the upgrade. My laptop is only 6 months old. I'll call tech support one of these days.

Reaction score
So, I have fixed my laptop. The start menu, I fixed creating a new profile. But the battery, I don't know what happened. Seems like a complete 100% coincidence but pretty much guarantee had nothing to do with the Windows patch. My laptop is almost brand new. But I called support and they were going to send me a new battery. My battery is Internal and required removing the screws from the case and prying the case open. I did it without the new battery. The wires going to the battery were a little loose. I just removed and reseated the wire cable to the battery and walla, my battery is now charging.

Ask a Question