Windows 10 mail app, cannot change recipient name

Reaction score
Hello, Hope this the right forum. When I send mail to my wife using this app, whether as main recipient or CC, it shows her name as "mum", which I think it has picked up from an email we both received from our daughter. I've deleted all emails I can find with the "mum" in the recipient fields, deleted and recreated all contacts for my wife that I can find including other mail clients and on the ISP site (British telecom, which I thinks uses yahoo), but "mum" still keeps populating the recipient field. I can't find a way to reveal codes or addresses behind the recipient name. I quite like the app in other ways, and don't want to create sync problems by switching between too many devices. This problem doesn't occur in other apps - gmail, or ISP's own website. Any ideas?

Thanks, Neil Fillingham

Reaction score
Try to change the name from contact list of windows mail and things will be taken care of.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Seems like you've tried practically everything that I might have suggested.
The only thing I might have a look at, is....
Note that the "Mail" App is linked with the "People" App and there are a couple settings in there that have resulted in my contact list within the Mail App being flooded with nonsense and garbage lately.
Open the People App and click the Settings Cog and turn off the slider that says "Automatically add contacts that you have communicated with recently".
There is also a second setting under "Filter Contacts" "Show contacts from" generally this will say "Hotmail (Mail and Calendar)". Not much you can do there except switch it on and off, but I just thought I would make a note incase the issue you are having might be hiding in the "Calendar" App

Reaction score
Thanks very much for both suggestions. I have tried what Beingdu suggested without success, but will certainly follow up on Trouble's suggestion and post the outcome. Turning off adding recent contacts sounds like it might help.

Reaction score
Hello again, Have tried changing the "people" settings as suggested, and restarted the computer before testing the effects, but it has not worked. Very oddly, I produced one email on Friday while trialling various changes that has my wife's email address in the address field, which is what I want. However, all subsequent emails have reverted to "mum", and if I copy and paste that email address into a new email it displays again as "mum". If I click on the email name itself, in the original sent email, and select the option to send another email, that does produce the desired display name in the address field. That isn't a very convenient way to create emails, and wouldn't allow me to get the display name i want in the cc field, as far as I can see. I may trying creating an email while disconnected from the internet, to see if I am picking up the unwanted address from some other source, but have no other ideas beyond that, other than moving to gmail on this device as that doesn't appear to produce the same problem. It is frustrating that the windows app doesn't allow one to look at the information behind the display name. Thanks again for your help. Neil

Reaction score
Further to last post, I've now added one of my Btinternet.com accounts to gmail on this same device that produces the errors, and emails created within gmail have the desired email address in the recipient field. This makes me think that the problem lies within the windows mail app, rather than this device or settings on other devices, or in other accounts. Neil

Reaction score
One last comment, in case anyone else has a similar problem. I've found that if I create an email in the People app itself, the full email address is in the recipient field, which is what I want . However, as soon as I return to creating or replying to emails in the mail app, the shortened version of the name appears, which I don't want.

Reaction score
I have the same issue
I never found a proper solution. By trial and error, and some brutal deletion of contacts and actual emails that it looked like the email I was composing might be drawing addresses from, I managed to force it to accept my typed contact name. The problem hasn't reappeared but I suspect it will if the same set of circumstances arises again.

Good luck, Neil

Reaction score
I also saw a few posts that said go to settings>>manage accounts>>(select account you want)>>sync settings>> and there you should see "name you want to use to send email".

Reaction score
I am having this issue and have no resolution for it - my business partner's last name shows up spelled incorrectly and have no idea why. Have tried everything I can think of to fix it. Considering just finding a new email client to use.

Reaction score
I also have this problem. When I cc my wife on an email, her email address shows my name. Extremely frustrating. Has anyone yet found a solution?

Ask a Question