SOLVED windows 10 menu not working

Reaction score
when I left click the menu button nothing works name as when I left click the "search the web and windows" area help will be recived with many thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Which version of the Technical Preview are you currently using?
The only time I've seen similar behavior is when either logging on with the hidden administrator's account or when booting into safe mode.
Are you logging on with your Microsoft ID?
You might try creating a local user account just to test and see if there might be some profile corruption.

Reaction score
I am currently installed build 10041 and am running from a local account plus a domain both with same problem

Reaction score
i have now fixed it for some reason it just needed to be link to a domain user that was not administrator (log off then log back on )

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you managed to run Windows Updates to confirm that your build is current and up to date?
Have you considered updating to build 10049? I'm not at all sure that, that would fix what is broken but might be worth a try.
Can you check task manager and see if "Windows Shell Experience Host" is running?
Checking other resources on multiple forums I've noticed that some people have found that adjusting the "Theme" to high contrast helps. Not sure why or how that would work, just passing the info along.
AND
Some have resorted to installing "Classic Shell" to get a working menu. Again just passing that along.

Personally I would try using a Microsoft ID just to see if the problems persist with that type of an account.
10041 was IMO a pretty buggy build compared to some of the early iterations and 10049 is not a whole lot better but some of the annoyances were addressed and fix, to some extent.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
it just needed to be link to a domain user that was not administrator
Not sure what "it" means in the it just needed to be linked statement above.
Do you mean that you needed to use an account that was not a member of the Domain Administrators Group (which by default would mean that it would be a member of the Local Administrators Group)
Generally you would want and it most cases need an account that is a member of the Local Administrators Group in order to perform some tasks on the local machine.
So the account you are using successfully now is a member of what Group(s) on the domain and what Group(s) on the local machine?
AND
I thought you had said in an earlier post that you had also tried it with a local account (assumed non-domain)?

Reaction score
the laptop needed to be linked to a domain for some reason dont know why but after I did that it worked

Reaction score
The only time I've seen similar behavior is when either logging on with the hidden administrator's account or when booting into safe mode.
I lost the Start Menu in 9926 which forced me to use Classic Shell before I was ready to abandon the Start Menu. And when booting in Safe Mode, neither Start Menu or Classic Shell would load. I concluded Windows 10 was such a mess, I decided to leave it alone till the next ISO release. Never before have I ever lost the Start Menu.

It was a bit of disappointment with 10049 as it wasn't a slow ring release. Still waiting for another ISO release to check out Windows 10 further.

Reaction score
Hi, everyone, here we had the same issue and after trying everything on the net we have found that it was "just" because in the registry there was a problem with the access of HKCR (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT). Fist of all we have put "full access to everyone" and that does't work and after with the help of another computer we have set
- Install package "Read"
- Owner "Special autorisation"
- group System "Full control ans Read"
- group Administrator - "full Control and Read"
- group User - "Read"
Restart and "abracadabra" everything is coming back.

Ask a Question