Windows 10 nightmare

Reaction score
I just lost three hours of my life by giving in to the constant splash screens telling me to upgrade to win. 10....At first it was installing as expected, but when it rebooted and gave me the sign on screen it was frozen with a little circle spinning.... If I clicked around long enough the page would fade and give me a black screen. Tried to boot into safe mode but didn't work. Reboots resulted in the same outcome. I had a perfectly functioning system and then I had a mess. I unplugged my USB wireless gadget and then it did boot up....I flew to the security screen and rolled back to seven.....thank god. Moral of the story is.....do your homework before installing. If I'd seen all the problems people are having I wouldn't have done it.

Reaction score
In general it is not a problem to upgrade a clean install. Upgrading a dated install is where many people have issues. And yes I do agree, the nagging upgrade notification is irritating.

Reaction score
"If I'd seen all the problems people are having I wouldn't have done it."

Not sure if you are referring to the upgrade process, or the windows 10 OS?

The upgrade process is normally trouble free. The reported problems which users are having is often through faults of their own, The plugged in peripherals, do, for some reason, seem to be causing problems. Mine did not. But it is neglectful that MS do not give a warning that it is a good idea to unplug them. Also, the check for compatibility, before it offers the upgrade, is inadequate.It covers very basic requirements, and should extend a little into a few known hardware problems.
But, if you mean the OS itself. You tend to read, on sites such as this, of problems encountered. That is axiomatic. That is the purpose of these forums. There are, worldwide, thousands of satisfied users of Windows 10. If you analyse the problems you have read, or heard of, you will find that mostly they are focused on only one or two. The majority are concerned with attempts to do things outside the sphere of the normal installation and running of it.

Reaction score
The only peripheral I had/have is a netgear wireless adapter, an essential. I did unplug it eventually and after that made some progress, but when I tried to plug it back in I wasn't online. The system wasn't showing my network. So first thing I did was reboot. And I was right back to square one at the logon screen and the rolling circle which eventually morphed into a black screen. I unplugged it, booted again and rolled back to seven. I really don't know what I could have done to enable 10 to function with my adapter. The adapter wasn't optional. I realize the people who had no issues don't write into forums, but of those who did, it seems that many with this same logon issue were trying to go from 7 to 10. Many had peripherals. And oddly enough I read posts from people using ASUS products which is what is used in my tower.

Reaction score
Here's what I find hilarious: about 10 years ago when I switched to Linux, all the MS fanbois said "Don't use Linux -- you'll spend all your time on the internet searching for drivers!" Now, with the Win 10 debacle, the MS fanbois are telling people "You have to download drivers from the internet!"

My laptop came with Win 7 installed. I immediately installed an Ubuntu partition and that's what I use 99% of the time. It installed right out of the box, drivers and all. Recently, I tried to upgrade the Win 7 partition to Win 10 and I ran into many of the problems others have reported. I don't have time to waste on a buggy OS so I reverted to Win 7.

Reaction score
Click on my System Specs under my name (left) to see my upgrade results.

Reaction score
I guess part of my success with W10, Insider and Production on laptops, bought PCs and home made ones is that my environment is such that I use a wired connection first and then try the wireless afterwards (and I only use MS anti-virus) . I have a few wireless adapters, mainly Dlink and Netgear. Before production last year I had to find and download drivers for them which was a pain...but that was beta software.

Reaction score
Always recommend doing a clean install when possible. Smaller chances for errors/issues.

Ask a Question