Windows 10, no internet connection (651)

Reaction score
Hello! I've got a big problem win my Win10. Every time i install 10 it has no internet connection, it shows that none connections are available and tells "Modem has reported an error (error 651). Everything is working well on Win7. I tried many things to fix it but nothing seems to work. If anyone can, please help me :(

My network card is Qualcomm Atheros AR8171, and modem is some TPLink

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I just downloaded that file (the 64bit version) and it produced a file called
AMD64-ar_bg_zh-tw_cs_da_de_el_en_...v_lt_zh-cn_pt_zh-hk_ja-nec-20782905_ee991f057af838b32513c3e9c542a5a7d5cf4aca.cab
I then placed the file into a new folder on my desktop and used 7zip from here http://www.7-zip.org/ (also the 64bit version), right click the above cabinet file and chose 7zip -> extract here, which produced the four files seen here.
Capture.JPG

To install the driver you will need to do so using the manual method....

Driver Install - Manual Method

1. Open the Device Manager.
  2. Right click the device you wish to change the drivers for. You can select Properties > Driver > Driver Details to check you have the right device.
  3. Choose Update Driver Software.
  4. Select Browse My Computer For Driver Software.
  5. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  6. Select Have disk...
  7. Select Browse..
  8. Navigate to the extracted folder and double click on the .inf file
  9. Hit OK, then Next and the driver(s) will then begin to install.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Use Internet Explorer and Go here
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=atheros ar8171
Download and install the driver listed there.
The second one in the list and slightly larger file is for 64 bit. The top one is for 32 bit.

Thanks for your help. I know that there are times to use Internet Explorer, but I *never* would unless necessary. It's a well-known security sieve. Can you tell me why you would use it here?
bb

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you tell me why you would use it here?
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Because that particular site (linked above) is the Microsoft Update Catalog and will simply not work with any other browser, not even Edge as far as I know.
You're welcome to experiment. I could be wrong and things may have changed but not the last time I checked.

Reaction score
How can I download a driver to fix inability to connect to the internet, to a PC which won't connect to the internet?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Obviously, you can't..... and would need a second working device that you could use.
Did you sign up to the forum, just to ask that question?
Welcome.

Ask a Question