Windows 10 No system/Cortana Audio

Reaction score
I installed Windows 10 on my PC yesterday and found there is no system audio (start up sounds, ect...) and Cortana does not have any audio output. Things like youtube and games still have audio however.

My audio is handled through an HDMI cable connected to a tv/surround sound system. I have an NVIDIA GeForce graphics card that handles both the video and audio with the drivers updated. On my bar on the bottom right of the screen it shows two audio managers. They are the windows audio manager and Realtek HD audio manager. Both show the TV/surround sound as the default audio output device. However, if I click the troubleshoot button on the windows audio manager it says there are no speakers connected.

I had the same setup with Windows 8.1 with no issues.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

Reaction score
I have a similar setup on one machine. HDMI from a Nvidia 430 to an AVR and then a TV. I am using the Nvidia provided Windows 10 driver.
I rightclick on the little taskbar speaker icon and then click on playback devices.

I see Toshiba TV ( the final destination for HDMI)
NVidia High definition Audio
Default device ( ticked)

I also see RealTek HD audio with no speakers connected as nothing is plugged into the green jacksocket

You don't see the AVR as that is really just an HDMI switch.

So I would check the NVidia setup using GEForce Experience. Or Nvidia in Control panel.

Hope this helps

Reaction score
I have a similar setup on one machine. HDMI from a Nvidia 430 to an AVR and then a TV. I am using the Nvidia provided Windows 10 driver.
I rightclick on the little taskbar speaker icon and then click on playback devices.

I see Toshiba TV ( the final destination for HDMI)
NVidia High definition Audio
Default device ( ticked)

I also see RealTek HD audio with no speakers connected as nothing is plugged into the green jacksocket

You don't see the AVR as that is really just an HDMI switch.

So I would check the NVidia setup using GEForce Experience. Or Nvidia in Control panel.

Hope this helps
I also have same sound issues, and I am going through just my speakers, can play music and videos, but no sound from cotana

Ask a Question