SOLVED Windows 10 not recognising secondary hard drive

Reaction score
My PC has three hard drives. A Samsung solid state drive (840 series) that has windows and all games / programs on it, and two older Samsung HDD's (HD753LJ, about 7 years old) that I use to store videos, photos, music etc. It had been working fine in this configuration with Windows 7 for years.

I recently upgraded to windows 10 (in place upgrade, not a clean install) which worked OK except one of the two HDD's was not found by Windows 10. After a couple of turn off / turn back on cycles it found it and was OK for a little while. However it stopped finding it again and now hasn't worked for a few weeks.

If I boot into BIOS it lists all three hard drives as boot options, but only two come up in disk manager / device manager / my computer within Windows 10. Is this a Windows 10 problem or is the hard drive dying? (The timing would be very coincidental if it's not a windows problem).

Reaction score
Turns out that just changing the sata cables, power cables and motherboard ports around solved it. It was really weird because all the components worked by themselves but most combinations wouldn't let me see both hard drives. Then I got lucky and now it seems to be OK.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That you very much for the update on your solution to your problem.
Hopefully, it'll prove helpful to other with a similar issue.
Welcome to the forums.

Ask a Question