Windows 10 not recognizing my hard drive

Reaction score
So i just built a computer and installed Windows 10 through a flash drive. When i installed i had the option to install on my HDD but I installed it on my SDD. But now that its set up, Windows doesn't recognize my hard drive. It shows up in my bios and my device manager but not on my disk management. Anyone have any solution?.

Reaction score
A picture of your Disk Management might help but do you know if you installed Win 10 as Legacy (MBR) or UEFI? You can attach the picture using the Upload a File button.

Reaction score
Capture.PNG

My hard drive is 1 terabyte

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does this system have a newer motherboard since I notice you installed in the Legacy mode.

Why does the System Reserved partition have a Drive letter?

Do you have a DVD drive installed?

Have you tried changing the SATA port the HDD is connected to? Some ports may be special use where an Optical drive cannot be connected or some other reason.

You could also try changing the SATA cable for testing.

Reaction score
I had a similar problem and this was the fix for me:

"Thank you Trouble but I solved the problem by first unplugging all drives (except the new SSD boot drive), then rebooting the system each time I reconnected a drive. Windows at last recognised the DVD drive. I'm not that confident with fiddling with regedit so thought I'd try the above first and "voila". I'm sure it was a Win problem as BIOS had no trouble with the drives."

Reaction score
I had a similar problem and this was the fix for me:

"Thank you Trouble but I solved the problem by first unplugging all drives (except the new SSD boot drive), then rebooting the system each time I reconnected a drive. Windows at last recognised the DVD drive. I'm not that confident with fiddling with regedit so thought I'd try the above first and "voila". I'm sure it was a Win problem as BIOS had no trouble with the drives."
I tried this but to no success I think ill take it into a computer store and see what they can do

Reaction score
See the main problem is that its connected and shows up on the device manager which is part of windows 10 (according to my friend who owns a comp store) but it doesn't show on my disk management which is really odd. And the sata port thing is just number 2 out of 6 (ssd is 1) ill try to change that but i doubt that will work

Reaction score
See the main problem is that its connected and shows up on the device manager which is part of windows 10 (according to my friend who owns a comp store) but it doesn't show on my disk management which is really odd. And the sata port thing is just number 2 out of 6 (ssd is 1) ill try to change that but i doubt that will work
Changing the cable didnt help

Ask a Question