Windows 10 on PC Stick

Reaction score
I see Win 10 is now loading to the tiny PC Stick. I just loaded it to a fanless mini PC which is 4"X4"X1" which has the same quad core processor (1.33/1.8 Ghz), SSD (32 MB) but also has a Lan Port while the sticks are Wifi only with many just 1.33 Ghz processing. It is an extremely fast machine and loaded the Win 10 in 30 minutes. It cost $160. The on board Intel HD video plays games too, just not the really elaborate ones. It streams 1080p to big screens via HDMI. It does not do things like Photoshop but it does Microsoft Office. Not huge spreadsheet applications of course. I hear the next generation sticks will have bigger drives and 8GB RAM.
The mini PC has a 110 volt adapter for power but most PC sticks just have a USB cable to the TV and the stick is plugged directly into the TV's HDMI port. If there is no USB port then a battery pack can be used. The PC sticks are now under a hundred dollars.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have Windows 10 working flawlessly now on my fanless mini pc but it runs really hot while streaming HD video. At 50% CPU usage one of the 4 cores was at 197 degrees F. Wow, and that was after only 15 minutes. It was streaming flawlessly but I was not thrilled. I decided to send it back and try the PC Stick. I will tell you how that goes. It is only $130.

Then I will download Windows 10 to that even smaller pc. I download speedfan to view the temps and CPU usage. Wish me luck.

Reaction score
I know this thread sounds like it belongs in the "Hardware" forum but I put it here because it is "Windows 10 News" that Windows 10 has only recently authorized the upgrade for these tiny pc's. This is a correction to the original post which says the mini pc has a SSD. Actually it is a Nand Flash drive..

I ran into two problems with this unit besides the high temps. One, I can not get an external USB hard drive to work on it. Two, Norton Says it "can not scan a computer running directly from a compressed Windows image file known as WIMboot. Error code OX8004100c,n44,n66 and gives me a link to a support document which is due I suppose to the Nand Flash.

Reaction score
What cpu? 91c is extremely hot. My Atom cpu tj max is 104c I think, but throttles way before that. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that.

Reaction score
What cpu? 91c is extremely hot. My Atom cpu tj max is 104c I think, but throttles way before that. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that.
CPU: Intel Bay Trail-T CR upto 1.83GHz, Atom Z3735F
I took it out of turbo and it runs 10 degrees F. cooler.

Ask a Question