Windows 10 Preview

Reaction score
Just installed the new Windows 10 preview. Up and running with no trouble. looks good so far I have had no issues. Start Up menu is excellent. Looks like Microsoft has a winner with this.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have to agree. I think they've manage to balance between the two worlds just right.... finally.

Reaction score
Please tell, what does Win 10 do that Win 8.1 cannot do ?

If return of Start Menu is the overriding feature, a dirt cheap $5 will get Start8 for Win 8.1, and it does more than Win 10 Start Menu can.
Start8 can, by 2 clicks, toggle between Start Menu and Start screen. It's done instantly.
Win10 will need several steps including sign out and restart before it can switch from Start Menu to Start screen, and repeating the same steps is needed to switch back. Perhaps, touchscreen users can still use the charmbar to go to Modern Start screen, but for non-touchscreen users, going to Modern Start screen and back is a cumbersome proposition. Users who are sold on using Modern Start screen will find the Win 10 Start Menu Live Tiles inadequate.

So, what is the unbeatable sales pitch for Win 10 ?
If it just runs as good as Win 8.1, then what is the point of creating Win 10 ?

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So, what is the sales pitch for Win 10 ?
I believe it's still too early to make that call.
I haven't seen any information as to whether or not they've enhanced Windows 10 "under the hood". It may have better memory management properties, it may have some enhancements as to how in handles processor threads and other system resources in general. The facts are I don't know and I'm not sure who does at this point.
Win10 will need several steps including sign out and restart
It does offer a reasonably robust, hybridize and blended start menu without the need of a third party overlay and I've not seen any need to "restart" to switch between the new "Start Menu" and the old "Start Screen".
And it does offer multiple "virtual" desktops without the need of a third party overlay, which I suppose is handy for folks with a single monitor and a lot of stuff going on.
All the "Apps" run in a Window now with the associated windows controls to maximize / minimize, close to taskbar and close and actually close down when you click the "X" in the top right which is a nice improvement over dragging them to the bottom of the screen and waiting for them to flip.

I'm not a salesman and if I was, I wouldn't be about selling prototypes as they're just "concepts" and not finished products. And it's not "for sale", it's free, now and if rumors are true likely will be so (for some) when it is a finished product.

Reaction score
Well, I don't think you should have to 'switch' between the Start Screen and Start Menu. You should have a blended environment. If I'm in tablet mode without a keyboard, I should be able to touch the Start Button and it would send me to the Start Screen. If I'm working off a keyboard, then maybe it would go to the Start Screen. There should be an option that allows you to configure the system in any combination you want.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well, I don't think you should have to 'switch' between the Start Screen and Start Menu. You should have a blended environment. If I'm in tablet mode without a keyboard, I should be able to touch the Start Button and it would send me to the Start Screen. If I'm working off a keyboard, then maybe it would go to the Start Screen. There should be an option that allows you to configure the system in any combination you want.
Microsoft made it clear at the outset that this particular preview was for Laptops and Desktops. The server version is not even available yet and there is some talk that the version for handheld / portable devices might be slightly different although it's just talk at this point so.... who knows.
I suppose it would be slick if they had some API that could somehow sense that you've plugged a mouse and or keyboard into your otherwise touchable device and would magically crystal ball, your wishes, desires and intentions.... I'm not quite sure how one would code for that.
Basically if you can click it, you can touch it.... and switching between the new start menu and the old start screen is something I would personally prefer choosing and doing myself rather that have my computer trying to guess my needs and intentions.

Reaction score
They already can detect if a mouse or keyboard is plugged in. But I agree, I don't want it guessing. That's why mentioned an option in a config dialogue box somewhere, maybe under Navigation. Then you could select one of the following:

Radio button:
  1. Use Start Screen when no keyboard or mouse is present
  2. Always Use Start Screen
  3. Always Use Start Menu
  4. Enable both Start Screen and Start Menu. (touch Start Button for Start Menu, touch and hold for Start Screen.

Or something like that. I like the Start Screen a lot and I hope they don't do a complete reversal and get rid of it.

Reaction score
The "config" dialogue is in the taskbar - right click - properties - Start menu tab, first item. But the hang up is that you then have to sign out and in again.

That's fine, whichever path MS take, in the final version, will have to be accepted, but, I think, for this test version, it would have been more efficient to be able to switch between the two different start menus without signing off and in again.
I frequently find, already, reading requested help on one menu or the other. Not having a brilliant memory, I do have to go through the process to attempt a solution to the query.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
"What a difference a day makes."
I can remember, just a day ago (actually considerably more than a day but you may get my meaning) everyone complaining and ranting about the start screen and how they had to have a third party overlay like Classic Shell to even make Windows 8 useable, blah, blah, blah, blah.
Personally I like the start screen and have for quite some time, but.....
I'm willing, at least for a little while to give this new start menu a fair trial. Do I wish that it was more customizable??? Certainly. Do I wish that I could put all my grand daughter's games into a single folder so I didn't have to scroll and scroll to find the app I want??? You bet. Right now it's alphabetized so provided, as I grow older, I can still remember my ABCs it's not unmanageable but it could certainly be better. AND if it doesn't get better, then it's back to the old start screen I go.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
They already can detect if a mouse or keyboard is plugged in. But I agree, I don't want it guessing. That's why mentioned an option in a config dialogue box somewhere,
Well if "Continuum" makes it into the final release version it would seem that you may get, if not exactly, a close approximation of what you want.
Along about the 31 minute mark of this video here
They start talking about 2 in 1 devices and the need as you suggest for an intelligent transition of the interface from a mouse keyboard UI to a Touch centric UI.
At least it looks good on paper.

Reaction score
There is already a new build about to be launched. We should hold our breath. Maybe some of the minor irritants have already been sorted.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
We should hold our breath.
Not sure about that.... at my age it could be detrimental to my overall well being. :)

But I do, yes, even still, look forward with a bit of eager anticipation and hope, that they do get this thing's bells and whistles ironed out completely before the GA release.

Reaction score
Need I say more for myself than:

omg.jpg

Reaction score
Good video and good to be in on the ground floor of Windows 10 and maybe have some small input into its direction.

Ask a Question