Windows 10 Pro - Asking for password

Reaction score
Hello! I've just started configuring a new pc. After relocating the Users folder from the SSD to the HDD drive successfully, i wanted to change the default name of the user folder.

I activated the admin account via cmd("net user administrator /active:yes") and signed out of my user account to enter the Admin one and procceedcto change the folder name.

Result: Administrator user isn't showing up, and my user account has started asking for a password.

Note i wasn't using any password, nor do i have set up any MS live account or given my phone number. Is there any way to solving this besides reinstalling Windows overwriting the system drive?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Boot from the installation media.... you need to click the Repair Your PC link on the second page after the Choose a Language and Keyboard layout page.
That should get you to the Advanced Troubleshooting options and try using the System Restore option to recover to a point in time prior to you having made those changes.
You might also try "Startup Settings" to attempt to boot the computer into Safe Mode or Safe Mode with networking to see if the Administrator account appears.
After relocating the Users folder from the SSD to the HDD drive successfully, i wanted to change the default name of the user folder
NOTE: You should probably not relocae the "User's Profile Folder", I believe Microsoft warns against this as it can impact the overall behavior of Windows 10.
It is perfrectly acceptable to relocate the sub-folders within the User's Profile Folder and their respective contents to another location (drive or partition).
AND
Changing the actual folder name of the User's Profile Fodler will almost certainly break the pointer in the registry's profile list where it expects to find the User's profile and may result in other unexpected consequences as well.

NOTE 2: Anytime you are considering making any changes that could impact the only existing User Account with Admin rights it is a very good idea to make sure you have all your critical data backed up safely on external media and a known good, recent and viable Disk Image as suggested here
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
For occasions where things don't go exactly as planned.

Ask a Question