Windows 10 pro insider preview, new install

Reaction score
Hi,

It might have been asked in here, but please excuse me if my question is dumb, I can`t find any answer whatsoever.

I had on my laptop installed win 8.1 (which came with the laptop preinstalled, I have not made any backups or anything like that). Than Win 10 came (the preview) which I installed gladly without any problems. But, now, as the version is final. I would like to install a fresh copy of windows 10. I can download the image from Microsoft servers, no problem !!!

Now comes the tricky parts. Where do I find my bloody Win serial number ? And which version of windows will that be, pro as well ?

Thank you for your answers.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have not made any backups or anything like that
Now might be a good time to consider addressing that.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
now, as the version is final. I would like to install a fresh copy of windows 10
If your current installation of Windows 10 is "activated", then installing Windows 10 again does not require a product key for installation.
You should be able to select "skip" or "do this later" or "I don't have a product key" links at the various stages of the installation and finish the installation.
After which as long as you have performed the install on the same machine it should auto-activate without any problems.

NOTE: As I said above, please do not do this without first, at least securing all of your critical data by backing it up, and a disk image of your hard drive will provide yet additional safety in case something should go wrong.
AND
Additionally the latest ISO available for download from Microsoft supports using your previously installed qualifying version of Windows' product key during or after the install if you have that on hand and want to use that method.

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your reply.
And IF I want to change my HDD, will it still activate all by itslef ?

Thank you !!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep.... I've done it multiple times (actually just twice) recently on both my wife's and my own computer after purchasing SSDs for both, to replace the old spinners.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
thanks a lot for your time
You bet.... no problem and yes, please keep us posted as to how you progress.
If you intend to swap out the hard drive and set the one with your current installation aside for safe keeping then you should be good as far as the backup goes, although......
I think I would still get in the habit of maintaining a disk image just in case.
You never know when a hard drive will decide to give up, but it's usually when you can least afford the consequent down-time and loss of critical data.
AND
It is "when" not "if", they are all potentially subject to physical or other critical component (IC board) failure. Some seem to go on forever and we get complacent.

Ask a Question