SOLVED Silent Hunter 5 will not install in Windows 10 v1903

Reaction score
i have 2 separate installation discs for the Ubisoft Game Silent Hunter 5. Since update to V1903, discs will not install the game at all.

Anyone come across this?

Windows 10 pro,v1903.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Oh well, obviously not. Try again. Putting a DVD or CD into appropriate drive, it should pop up a message asking what you wish it to do. On my computer, it no longer does this, even though autostart is in place. It used to, however, no longer complies.

Reaction score
Do other discs play such as CD Audio? With a disc in it, any type, does the drive show up in Disk Management, Device Manager or in File Explorer?

Reaction score
Have you tried opening the cd/dvd drive in windows explorer and looking for a setup.exe file or something similar?

Reaction score
Bighorn: yes to all.

BigFeet: yes.i have easily opened the CD/DVD drives and neither autoplay or setup.exe work on this particular disc which previously was never a problem.
Not sure exactly when all his transpired, however, it was from update 1903 or previous update,

Reaction score
Have you checked the non-label side of the disc? It doesn't take much of a fingerprint, a scratch or scuff to disrupt the tracking of the laser beam and prevent reading/use of a disc. When cleaning a disc use mild dish soap with warm water and wipe from the center out, never in a circular pattern as that is how a disc is recorded. And check the label side for clear spots where the label has been scratched, can cause issues. It's unbelievable how many discs get ruined by improper handling.

Reaction score
I do play SH, and for most i have to set setup/run to compatibility mode. then all starts and runs proper....

Reaction score
Bighorn: Many thanks for your suggestion. i will give it ago and get back to you.

Snuffy: I will also check this out and reply. many thanks.

What, incidentally, could have stopped the computer from placing the pop-up asking what do I wish Microsoft to do, having inserted disc into appropriate drawer?

Reaction score
when you look does it show you have a DVD-CD under This PC. if it does not show then that is mostly the isssue.
a fast fix - copy all to and name rescan.bat
-------------------------
@echo off
:: BatchGotAdmin (Run as Admin code starts)

REM --> Check for permissions
>nul 2>&1 "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\cacls.exe" "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\config\system"

REM --> If error flag set, we do not have admin.
if '%errorlevel%' NEQ '0' (
echo Requesting administrative privileges...
goto UACPrompt
) else ( goto gotAdmin )

:UACPrompt
echo Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
echo UAC.ShellExecute "%~s0", "", "", "runas", 1 >> "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"

"%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
exit /B

:gotAdmin
if exist "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" ( del "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" )
pushd "%CD%"
CD /D "%~dp0"

echo rescan | diskpart

echo Thank you Jaber from Dhaka, Bangladesh

end

-----------------------

Reaction score
Snuffy,old son, you have lost me here.When I insert a disc, some times it shows under drawer, disc was inserted into. Sometimes not.
I have 2 drawers; 1 DVD/CD-RW (Drive H), 1x DVD RW (Drive I). Purchased when Computer originally bought, purpose of copying disc to disc.

In respect of your fix, please pardon me here, what program do I use to insert the fix.
Run, Power Shell (admin). or other?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Snuffy,old son, you have lost me here.When I insert a disc, some times it shows under drawer, disc was inserted into. Sometimes not.
I have 2 drawers; 1 DVD/CD-RW (Drive H), 1x DVD RW (Drive I). Purchased when Computer originally bought, purpose of copying disc to disc.

In respect of your fix, please pardon me here, what program do I use to insert the fix.
Run, Power Shell (admin). or other?
you open the program in Draw, locate the .exe program (it is the one that starts the program) right click and make a shortcut, place on Desktop, rightclick shortcut , properties, see compatibility, you should run compatibility mode, usually it starts with lowest version but i usually chose Windows 8, since almost anything runs in Windows 8. Note the icon you see below PrimoCache is a shortcut, and since you have 2 drawers, make sure you always the same drawer. my consern is you say "sometimes it shows under a drawer" . so you havemore than one issue. I would do a FULL clean(remove all the crud), defrag, repair install of your OS. do a chkdsk c: /f, run WinDefender in Offline Mode to check for any virus and other malware.
1570543403942.png

Reaction score
This is all somewhat strange, to put it mildly.
If I put in the DVD/CD for either Silent Hunter 3,4,5, hit setup or autorun, nothing.
If having put CD/DVD into drawer, opened up the contents to show the files therein, placed a new folder on my desktop and copied the contents into this new folder (desktop), click on setup for SH3,SH4, Sh5, NO PROBLEM. It works.

Reaction score
This is all somewhat strange, to put it mildly.
If I put in the DVD/CD for either Silent Hunter 3,4,5, hit setup or autorun, nothing.
If having put CD/DVD into drawer, opened up the contents to show the files therein, placed a new folder on my desktop and copied the contents into this new folder (desktop), click on setup for SH3,SH4, Sh5, NO PROBLEM. It works.
That is all that counts.... you have it working. my self i prefer SH3 and SH4 - SH5 is not my cup of tea.

Reaction score
Wonder why it does not work as it used to, from the CD/DVD.
Oh well another Microsoft mystery.
Many thanks to you all for your help.

Reaction score
many times on DVD-CD programs it will default to the first Original Install point, and that is not current to the 1st install. Makes no since to me but my Lotus 123 does the same.... so my solution was RIP the DVD-CD to Lotus123.iso, the same as i have for SH3, SH4 and SH5.
any minor scratch in the DVD-CD will do this.... RIP to and make ISO has never failed me on SETUP after that.

also a minor lint, cat hair, dog fuzz will do the same.... any way DVD-CD so damn slow. PS: i use UltraISO for the rip and make.

Ask a Question