Windows 10 programs won't maximise

Reaction score
Just downloaded Windows 10 and need to deal with two problems.

I have got the dreaded black screen at start-up. I can get past that problem
by pressing - Ctrl then enter my password to logon.

My second problem - I cant maximise my programs from the taskbar, they are just getting slightly bigger
when I hold the mouse pointer over an icon. Right clicking and trying to maximise it won't work.

Googled around everywhere with no luck, please help.

Reaction score
If I revert back to Windows 7 will I loose my Windows 10 and need to download again??

Yes. You will have to download Win 10 again.
You did not say HOW did you download and install Windows 10.
I would suggest that if you do go back to Win 7, wait for Windows Update to give you the download , then install.

Reaction score
Yes. You will have to download Win 10 again.
You did not say HOW did you download and install Windows 10.
I would suggest that if you do go back to Win 7, wait for Windows Update to give you the download , then install.

I took up the offer and reserved a download. Then got a message that my copy was ready to be downloaded.
Followed the prompts and that was it - meaning the trouble started.

Reaction score
I had this after installing, very annoying, Then after closing down and leaving it for a couple of hours it started working ok, no idea why it did it in the first place and it happened only on the new items win 10 had installed like edge. I am finding the OS a bit flakey at the moment with apps closing when they feel like it, but it seems to be gradually getting better with each new update. It will probably be fine in a few months. so it might be worth waiting for a while and then trying it again.

Reaction score
If you have an HDMI cable connected, this can cause a black-screening and unable to maximise apps windows issue. I cured my issue when the penny dripped and I removed the HDMI cable during installation and driver updates.

Reaction score
Using HDMI while installing worked for me. I only have HDMI screens ( monitors or my TV) Now an HDMI cable plugged in to the PC and the monitor or TV turned off...I can imagine that having a problem as there would be no handshake.

Reaction score
Using HDMI while installing worked for me. I only have HDMI screens ( monitors or my TV) Now an HDMI cable plugged in to the PC and the monitor or TV turned off...I can imagine that having a problem as there would be no handshake.

I also have a DVI connection which might have caused a conflict. I bought a new Radeon R7 250 graphics card (my old one was about 4 years old, if that), only to get the same install issue, and then remembering the HDMI trick, from an earlier upgrade along the Windows trail. I have yet to plug the HDMI cable back in! I'll wait until my system is more settled.

Reaction score

My second problem - I cant maximise my programs from the taskbar, they are just getting slightly bigger
when I hold the mouse pointer over an icon. Right clicking and trying to maximise it won't work.

I just solved this issue.. go to "Settings" => "System" => "Tablet mode" => Disable the Tablet mode..

Reaction score

I found the solution for this problem, at least for me, I had installed a diver for a Logitech game pad and some how my computer went to 2 screen mode. The app expansions were being sent to a non existent second screen. I changed the monitor setting to single screen and the problem went away. I do not know if this was something the Logitech software did but single screen cleared up the proble,

Reaction score
I used a HDMI cable to connect the monitor to the computer and experienced this problem.
By changing to connection with a VGA cable, the problem resolved itself

Ask a Question