Windows 10 Q&A

Reaction score
I imagine there are a lot of people like myself who have been using Windows 10 TP as their sole operating system on at least one of our computers. I have been using, testing and providing feedback to Microsoft since last October and in the process have installed programs, accumulated personal files and photos and other data that you collect from day to day. I know that I was not guaranteed any rewards for my service other than enjoying being on the front line, learning the ins and outs of a new system and playing a small part in guiding the direction that Windows 10 will take. It would be nice if Microsoft could allow the beta testers to upgrade directly from their Windows 10 setup but it looks like we will need to revert back to a previous version of Windows to do the upgrade. This means that all of the installed programs and activities I've got on my Windows 10 machines will be lost and I'll be starting over with whatever is installed on my Windows 8.1 drive. Since I have been testing and using a Windows 10 Pro version for 9 months now it would be cool if Microsoft would allow me a free upgrade to a final release of the pro version and the ability to upgrade from within my Windows 10 TP setup. It's not a huge deal as my personal stuff will be backed up to a separate drive so it won't be lost but it would be kind of a nice reward for all the months of testing if Microsoft would give us a free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro instead of the Home version that is installed on my Windows 8.1 drive.

Reaction score
Please google for Gabriel Aul's tweets and replies.
Answers are there. Just go over the replies one at a time.

Reaction score
Mornin David. Thanks for the prompt. If I'm interpreting what I read correctly it looks like I may just get a free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro even though my purchased Windows 8.1 is the Home version. Gabriel's answers indicate to me that the upgrade will be from whatever version is currently installed and that includes the Windows 10 preview which in my case is the Pro version. I'm not sure though how reinstalls will work and what activation keys will be required. If the upgrade occurs through the currently installed preview I imagine we will not really notice anything significant and the install will be automatically activated without need for a key during the upgrade process. If I want to download or make a .iso disk and I select the pro version will it clean install without a key? Seems to be some unanswered questions but as an old Doris Day song said "Que Sera Sera". At least we will have a whole year of freebies to mess with.

Reaction score
Yes. Not all bases are covered.
That's one of the reasons why Gabriel had said that there will be a Upgrade path posted to clarify.

So far, he said :
1. Win 10 TP is automatically reserved and first in line for the upgrade.
2. Win 10 TP will get upgraded automatically. there is no need to go back to either Win 8.1 or Win 7 SP1.
3. Upgrade versions will be ... "like for like". Home for Home, Pro for Pro.
Use this link and go to " What editions of Windows will I get....."
4. Reservation can be cancelled if one wishes.
5. For Reservation users, when the time comes, Win 10 will be downloaded to user's machine. Notification will be issued and user can choose when to install.
6. Enterprise versions are excluded from free upgrade offer. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
History has taught this to be simple. If you have Windows 7 Home license, you will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 Home. If you upgrade (Windows 10 TP) to Windows 10 Professional you will not be able to activate using your Windows 7 Home license. You will need the option to upgrade Windows 10 TP to Windows 10 Home before you will be able to activate using your Windows 7 license. What is unclear is the exact upgrade paths that will be allowed. But the licensing paths are not.

Reaction score
I have reserved my free upgrade and i have the icon yet i have not been notified to have win10 installed yet i open task manager and look at background processess and it shows this: Can anyone help.
Windows 10.PNG

Reaction score
To BradCubed,

You have to be patient and wait.
Imagine how many million users are lining up for upgrade ?

There is another way to install Win 10.
I had my Win 8.1.1 Pro reserved for free upgrade.
On July 29th, I cam across this Windows article/tutorial and I used the same method to install my Win 10. I did not wait for Windows Update.

Here is the tutorial......
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Make sure you pick the correct bit-version.
Then use the Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool page

NOTE : I chose the Create installation media for another PC option and saved the iso file to my computer. I then burn the iso to a DVD for future use. (You don't have to burn the iso file to a dvd or usb. Choice is yours.)

Once I was done with that I proceeded to start installing.........
Go to the saved ISO file > right click at it > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
Installation will start. This method allows you to save your files, settings and apps, or you can choose to keep nothing.

Reaction score
To BradCubed,

On July 29th, I cam across this Windows article/tutorial and I used the same method to install my Win 10. I did not wait for Windows Update.

NOTE : I chose the Create installation media for another PC option and saved the iso file to my computer. I then burn the iso to a DVD for future use. (You don't have to burn the iso file to a dvd or usb. Choice is yours.)

Installation will start. This method allows you to save your files, settings and apps, or you can choose to keep nothing.
Thank you so much just read ur reply havnt tried. thought i woukd have to wait a few weeks for someone to reply So thank you so much for the rapid response. P.S is it a trial/ insider version or is it full no expired because i used to have win10 tech preview and it must have xpired as i couldnt start in to my pc but then i found my old win 8.1 Pro disc and reset.

Reaction score
It is NOT a trial version. It's the real McCoy.
Once you have your computer upgraded to Win 10, it is supported for the life of the device. No extra charge.

Reaction score
1. Microsoft INSISTS users with qualifying Windows must do the free upgrade by Windows Update.
Upgrade Install does NOT require product key. Activation is automatic.

2. If one wants to install Windows 10 by using the ISO and do a Clean Install, then a Windows 10 product key is required to activate. Your Win 7 or Win 8.1 key are no good.
As of now, there is no Windows 10 product key available.
So, if you do a clean install, you won't be able to activate it.

Reaction score
1. Microsoft INSISTS users with qualifying Windows must do the free upgrade by Windows Update.
Upgrade Install does NOT require product key. Activation is automatic.

2. If one wants to install Windows 10 by using the ISO and do a Clean Install, then a Windows 10 product key is required to activate. Your Win 7 or Win 8.1 key are no good.
As of now, there is no Windows 10 product key available.
So, if you do a clean install, you won't be able to activate it.
k thanks

Reaction score
Just to make sure there is no misinterpretation.......

Using an ISO file does not mean one has to do a Clean Install.

Right click at the ISO file > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
Install will begin.
This method allows user to keep personal files, settings and apps.
Product key is not needed.

Reaction score
Where's the 'Windows Update' in the WIN 10 Control Panel o_O Maybe it's somewhere else, I can't find it.
Anybody see it? Let me know...

:)

Reaction score
Windows Update has been removed to ........
Left click at Start button > left side, click Settings > right side, click Update & Security > Windows Update > click Check for updates if you want to find out.

Reaction score
To BradCubed,

Thanks so much man just finished in stalling windows 10 didn't need a key so happy :)

Ask a Question