Windows 10 reimage prep

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently bought a used thinkpad with windows 10 upgraded - then fresh installed seems like (no old folder and no option to roll back). I am planning to use it as is for now as i dont see much of a problem with the current OS.

But just in case if i have to reinstall the OS later on or install win7 back on it (the machine comes with a win7 license sticker), what steps should i do. Earlier it was simply a matter of having the OS media and the key; I am not sure how it works in Win10 anymore. I understand i can download win10 media online; is that correct? With that and the win7 key i currently have am i all set?

ps: ive also read somewhere that once you have used a key to upgrade it cannot be used to go back to win7; not sure if that is true.

Thanks in advance
-gariki

Reaction score
You can download W10 online. From what you say the machine is now registered with MS as a legal W10 machine and the W7 licence has gone.

Just before Xmas a friend of mine bought a refurb T430 ( or was it a 460) Thinkpad. Worked really well with W10 Anniversary edition. It came with 1511 so we had to spend an hour or so updating to 1607.

Reaction score
...I recently bought a used thinkpad with windows 10 upgraded - then fresh installed seems like (no old folder and no option to roll back). I am planning to use it as is for now as i dont see much of a problem with the current OS.

But just in case if i have to reinstall the OS later on or install win7 back on it (the machine comes with a win7 license sticker), what steps should i do. Earlier it was simply a matter of having the OS media and the key; I am not sure how it works in Win10 anymore. I understand i can download win10 media online; is that correct? With that and the win7 key i currently have am i all set?

ps: ive also read somewhere that once you have used a key to upgrade it cannot be used to go back to win7; not sure if that is true...
Win10 is now activated with a "digital license". Same for Win 8.0 & 8.1. No PID sticker. You can download Win10 iso & reinstall at any time, since your system is registered with Microsoft. You don't need the Win7 PID (Product ID) unless you want to install Win 7 back on the same machine.

The PID is only used 1 time to perform the upgrade. Large resellers don't go through the same process. They purchase a license to install & activate many machines.

Ask a Question