Windows 10 Reset shows two versions of Windows 10

Reaction score
Suddenly today I started my PC and got bootmgr missing error. Tried scan disk and bootrec commands to fix to no avail. Used a repair disc and ran startup repair but nothing works. I went to option to reset the PC and it is showing two versions of windows. One says"Windows 10" and the other "Windows 10 Home". Don't understand what happened here. This is a week after the latest build update and my PC was running fine up to this point. I am totally lost as to what happened. Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Did you see an ICON for System Restore available to you when you examined the Advanced Troubleshooting options.
Perhaps simply employing a restore point to an earlier point in time might help.

Reaction score
Did you see an ICON for System Restore available to you when you examined the Advanced Troubleshooting options.
Perhaps simply employing a restore point to an earlier point in time might help.
I was hoping for that but said no restore points were available.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you made a backup of your critical data?
Have you made a disk image? https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
The reason I ask is because many people have not had a whole lot of luck performing the native windows reset function.
And you seem to have two choices, which I've never seen nor heard of before
Do you have or have you had both Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Home versions installed on this computer?

Reaction score
Actually this for my cousin. He has a home build I made for him. It was a native Windows 7 and I updated it to 8 X64 Home when I gave it to him. It was running fine and he even ran the latest service pack(or whatever they call it now) and it was running fine all week. He said he went to start it up this morning and got the bootmgr missing error. I built it with an SSD with the O/S system and a regular HDD for his files. His files are backed up so they are safe. I forgot if I made him a disk image. Have to try to run that possibly. Should only be Home on the PC. Thanks for your help

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I forgot if I made him a disk image. Have to try to run that possibly.
Yes if you have a disk image or even a Windows System Image, it might prove to be a better solution than relying on the Reset function. Just my opinion.
Have you checked the BIOS boot device order and the Mode in which the disk controller is currently running. You might have a look and try experimenting with switching it to SATA or SATA / IDE or Native IDE depending on the options available to you.
IS this a UEFI / GPT system?

Reaction score
Checked the boot order already and controller is set to AHCI. It's an older AM3 Asus M4A78T-E board bios up to date. Not UEFI as the board is at least 4 years old Running a Phenom II X3 720 with 4 cores activated overclocked to 3.4 GHZ. He just reset again but told him to use option to delete all his old files and data and wipe the drive option for the reset. Hope it works as he does not have a copy of 10 and does not have another PC at his house to burn an ISO copy. I may have to take a one hour drive out to where he leaves to do a reinstall. I actually would rather just do a clean install for him.

Reaction score
Thanks. As a last resort Im rebuilding the BCD. The last time I tried it it found a windows.old which I assume was the old Windows 7 install. I thought I uninstalled the windows.old folder but even if I didn't shouldn't it have found the old Windows 7 and the Windows 10 files? Ill let you know what happens.

Reaction score
Think the SSD was bad. Took his PC back to my house. Reinstalled Windows on same SSD and a few minutes after install got BSOD with some type of NTFS error so I assumed SSD is bad. Replaced it with a used SSD I had and reinstalled. All seems good so far even after new build update. Thanks for your help and input.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad you managed to work it out.
Thanks for the follow-up.
Much appreciated.

Reaction score
You would never guess what happened. Installed Malwarebytes and ran it. It found malware, guess from the regular HDD that was left connected to PC. Removed it and got same bootmgr missing error. A virus must be on the old HDD

Reaction score
Luckily I made a system image but not even that worked. It restarted with bottmgr missing. Could this be a bad SATA controller on the motherboard? It was strange how after it scanned with Malwarebytes then the minute I pressed remove malware it rebooted on its own and gave me the bootmgr error.

Reaction score
Tried system reset and got this. Losing my patience now!!!!
IMG_2069.JPG

Reaction score
Something is removing the bootmgr file. Could it be a virus on the large mechanical hard drive. I used a totally different SSD for O/S install but kept same mechanical drive connected. Now trying another install with a new mechanical HDD that has been wiped clean. If I get the error agin I am to assume the SATA controller? Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I would suspect cables before I suspected the controller.
Maybe keep it simple, remove the other drive and just leave the drive you're installing to attached.
And perhaps hit it with something like http://www.killdisk.com/ to wipe that guy completely.

Reaction score
Yes. I have KillDisk. For now Ill give him my WD 500GB Blue which is clean and Ill wipe his clean . Nowadays a 500 GB mechanical HDD is hardly worth having but he only used about 50 GB of space. I use a 500 GB SSD in mine for the O/S and a 2TB for my files. Think I will change the SATA cable anyway. Thanks. Ill let you know what happens in the next day or two.

Reaction score
So here is what happened next. I got everthing working nice here at my house. He takes it home and louds programs I tell him seem to cause problems. He uses AOL Desktop( Everyone I know who uses this runs into problems), Vuze(I think some sort of video viewer). He plugs in an old external 3.5 inch SATA dock that looks like a cassette recorder(Can't imagine how old) and a old Brother printer. Then he plugs the printer (USB) in and default drivers are loaded. He then runs install disk after it is plugged in and gets this error

IMG_2071.JPG

Ask a Question