SOLVED Windows 10 S

Reaction score
Windows 10 S is now available on the MSDN download site for subscribers.

Reaction score
I'll stick with Windows 10 Pro. I don't need that dark cloud hovering overhead. They boast new security features with 10 S, I didn't see anything new.

Reaction score
I'll stick with Pro, I have a feeling that S is gonna be a lot like Edge useless for everyday use. I do see a place for it in business where you don't want your employees fooling around much on the internet besides business

Reaction score
Off thread topic, but, what exactly do you find "useless" in Edge?

Reaction score
I'll stick with Windows 10 Pro. I don't need that dark cloud hovering overhead. They boast new security features with 10 S, I didn't see anything new.
I will have no real reason to use it. Not, I would imagine, have you.
But, it isn't intended to have anything new, as such. In fact, it has a lot less.
You will find numerous posts, now and in the past, from users such as schools and corporates, where, through users straying into areas and downloads which are not approved by their Administrators, they get into problems which need to be solved outside the view of those same Admins. Like on these forums.
Yes, the Administrators could pay more attention to locking down their own security, but this OS allegedly does it all for them.

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie.
Yes, I did read the other thread. I had no comment, as it drifted into another field with "Startreks's" posts. But Trouble laid that at rest.
Anyway, I was the Op and the thread closer. It was only for free download information for those who wished to evaluate it. The subsequent posts suggested to me that I should mark it as "Solved"
From that earlier thread - I don't really think the European authorities will have a beef about this, as it is dedicated for use by certain organisations. Again, as Trouble pointed out, there is a natural alternative built in.

Reaction score
It sounds like Windows 10 S and Windows RT are pretty close to being the same OS. Both are locked to running Windows Store apps only. I had only a brief encounter with RT before my previous company abandoned it abruptly.

I'm not finding too many articles comparing the two so maybe I'm off base on this one. I do know that RT was built on the Windows 8 ARM.

Windows Rt and 8 sucked BTW.

Reaction score
Off thread topic, but, what exactly do you find "useless" in Edge?
I have fooled around with it a couple of times, none of my tool bars worked, none of the add-ons worked, I could find no practical use for the APP, I much prefer the full program features of IE, even though I have to reboot it all the time and other aggravations. Sorry I haven't bought in on the APP features of Windows I still prefer full featured Software programs. The few things that I would probably use are not available. I think it would be great to replace the Vista Gadgets I'm still using it would be great to replace them with Windows APPs Its been a couple of year now and I haven't seen any thing that compares to Addgadgets gadgets. So I continue to use them and the resources that they drain, and the amount of time they add on to my boot up time. They actually work and give me important data.
APP are just fine for Cell Phones and maybe tablets I don't know I don't have either. I also don't do computer work on my Cell/Smart Phone the Android Apps seem to be useful with unlimited selection for just about anything you need to do on a smart phone.

Reaction score
This one:

"Windows 10 S is now available on the MSDN download site for subscribers." :)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not much out there referencing that information as it is intended for MSDN Subscribers
The only one I found was
MSDN subscribers who want to try the operating system out can now download it in ISO format and run it on any hardware, or in a virtualized environment.
https://betanews.com/2017/07/27/windows-10-s-now-available-for-developers-to-download/
Which has a link to the MSDN site but as davehc points out..... it's for subscribers / participants in the Microsoft Developers Network

Reaction score
As said. Just google for msdn downloads. I cannot give you my link, as it pops up with my sign in info (except for the password, of course)

Reaction score

They didn't boast new security features they stated it's more secure because downloads and installs are more controlled. No new security features just more secure by design.

Reaction score
I'll stick with Pro, I have a feeling that S is gonna be a lot like Edge useless for everyday use. I do see a place for it in business where you don't want your employees fooling around much on the internet besides business

I don't see it a good option for business as ANY downloads from users should be controlled. IT should control what software is on the computers not the users. Just because it doesn't allow downloading and installing desktop software doesn't make it a good fit for business. We use admin rights and Group Policies to stop users from downloading anything. We use images so we require an Enterprise license.

Ask a Question