Windows 10 So Far-What are your niggles with it.

Reaction score
I'll start off with this one.
Using BING and accessing a daily news paper on line I find when I negotiate the different stories, very randomly I get a window asking if I want to leave or stay on this page, sometimes it take three to four attempts for it to repsond and yet I can go days without this window showing at all.
JW.

Reaction score
Laptop where shutting the lid puts it to sleep. Except sometimes it wakes up after a few minutes.

Reaction score
MS is trying to force people to use it. We still have a choice in this country. Win 10 is just another OS nothing more, nothing less-You get what you paid for...

Reaction score
From my perspective, it's a reasonable upgrade. I've installed Classic Shell and I use Gadgets. I have a system which I can use to get work done.

Alan

Reaction score
From my perspective, it's a reasonable upgrade. I've installed Classic Shell and I use Gadgets. I have a system which I can use to get work done.

Alan
If it were not for Classic Shell, I would still be on 7.

Reaction score
First time I have heard of this 'Classic Shell', transition from Windows 98 through to Windows 7 was fine, I could relax and use the PC what is was for, now I find myself struggling changing to different search engines, frustration over the erratic behaviour, I wonder if this will give me back control over my laptop.

JW.

Reaction score
First time I have heard of this 'Classic Shell', <snip> I wonder if this will give me back control over my laptop.
Classic Shell returns users to a UI similar to Windows XP, Vista, or 7. There are three major styles and each is easily customized.
Classic Shell is free software that improves your productivity, enhances the usability of Windows and empowers you to use the computer the way you like it. The main features are:
  • Highly customizable start menu with multiple styles and skins
  • Quick access to recent, frequently-used, or pinned programs
  • Find programs, settings, files and documents
  • Start button for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10
  • Toolbar and status bar for Windows Explorer
  • Caption and status bar for Internet Explorer
Classic Shell has been in active development for 6 years and has tens of millions of downloads.

The latest stable version of Classic Shell is 4.2.5

Bif

Reaction score
I'm completely satisfied with10,my expectations are such that I don't "expect" perfection with anything in life and certainly not an operating system.It does what I want when I want to and it rarely if ever talks back...it burps and farts on occasion but don't we all?
I refuse to bitch and moan about something that is completely out of our control..life's too short.
I give it an 8 1/2 out of ....ummm 10?

Reaction score
My list of changes upon first Boot:
  1. Disable user account control notifications.
  2. Install Classic Shell. (the default Start Menu is clumsy)
  3. Hide Cortana Search on the Taskbar.
  4. Turn off Automatic updating for all the good it does, updating still schedules automatic updates anyway.
  5. Uninstall all listed in "Apps and Features" that will allow for removal. (if they install back, then so be it, I tried)
  6. Disable (or if no other option Hide) Cortana Search, OneDrive, Skype, and the default Mail.
  7. Switch Edge for IE, though my main is Firefox. (Edge is not ready, maybe after update for extension use)
  8. Alter the theme from the white title bar, and the irritating part is it doesn't change for all applications.
  9. Then one by one turn off some of the nagging notification.
Once I get those out of the way, it is fairly smooth sailing installing my preferred applications.

Reaction score
First time I have heard of this 'Classic Shell', transition from Windows 98 through to Windows 7 was fine, I could relax and use the PC what is was for, now I find myself struggling changing to different search engines, frustration over the erratic behaviour, I wonder if this will give me back control over my laptop.

JW.
cst.png

This is Win 10 Pro 10586.71 with Classic Shell

Ask a Question