SOLVED Windows 10 software download tool usb dvd reinstall

Reaction score
I downloaded the tool to my computer. I want make a dvd copy to reinstall windows 10, on my daughters computer. Can I do this, run on mine & install on hers? What capacity should the dvd be?

Reaction score
I used the same DVD to upgrade from Win 7 Pro 64 bit to Win Pro 64 bit on 3 machines. Make sure that both machines are both running the same OS 32bit or 64 bit Pro or Home versions. The ISO is 3.2 GB; a standard 4.7 GB DVD works fine.
Make sure you back up all important files, better still create a disk image of the drives before upgrading.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you. I have windows 10 already on my pc. Do I just run the download and burn to dvd & then run on the other computer after making sure everything is the same. Will it hurt my computer?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Choose Windows 10, the first item in the first drop down (not single language at the bottom)
Next choose your language and your bit version (32 or 64 bit to match your system architecture or in the case of an upgrade, to match your currently installed version of Windows).
That will provide an ISO that will upgrade, repair (or clean install) either or both Windows 10 Pro and Home.
Once you have downloaded the ISO you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
OR
Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive http://rufus.akeo.ie/

In summary your concern should be to get the proper bit version that you need or you want get them both, I maintain a current version of both 32 and 64 bit in case I would need one or the other for a specific reason.
Just mark them to reflect which system architecture they are intended for.

Reaction score
I used the same DVD to upgrade from Win 7 Pro 64 bit to Win Pro 64 bit on 3 machines. Make sure that both machines are both running the same OS 32bit or 64 bit Pro or Home versions. The ISO is 3.2 GB; a standard 4.7 GB DVD works fine.
Make sure you back up all important files, better still create a disk image of the drives before upgrading.
So, see If I understand this. To make a dvd, my laptop which is 64 bit, would not work for a 32 bit laptop? I would have to create it using my son's laptop which is a 32 bit. If a computer would have a virus could this clean install fix it?

Reaction score
Trouble explained the procedure well.
You will require a 64 bit ISO for your machine and a 32 bit ISO for your sons machine. You can create both Windows 10 upgrade ISO's on your machine. Just make sure the upgrade ISO's you create are the same version as that's currently on your machines. That is, Win 10 Pro to upgrade from Win 7 Pro, or Windows 10 Home for Win 7 Home version. I recommend you remove the suspect virus before the upgrade, then create a restore point and a system image of your current OS. Or the least you should do is back up all your important personal files Docs, Photograph's Music...

Reaction score
You will require a 64 bit ISO for your machine and a 32 bit ISO for your sons machine. You can create both Windows 10 upgrade ISO's on your machine. Just make sure the upgrade ISO's you create are the same version as that's currently on your machines. That is, Win 10 Pro to upgrade from Win 7 Pro, or Windows 10 Home for Win 7 Home version. I recommend you remove the suspect virus before the upgrade, then create a restore point and a system image of your current OS. Or the least you should do is back up all your important personal files Docs, Photograph's Music...
Thank u got it.

Reaction score
You will require a 64 bit ISO for your machine and a 32 bit ISO for your sons machine. You can create both Windows 10 upgrade ISO's on your machine. Just make sure the upgrade ISO's you create are the same version as that's currently on your machines. That is, Win 10 Pro to upgrade from Win 7 Pro, or Windows 10 Home for Win 7 Home version. I recommend you remove the suspect virus before the upgrade, then create a restore point and a system image of your current OS. Or the least you should do is back up all your important personal files Docs, Photograph's Music...[/
Is there a free antivirus, adware, maleware program that I can download to cd & run at startup. Like avg, spybot? How would I put it to cd. Would I have to download & install on my pc first.

Reaction score
Choose Windows 10, the first item in the first drop down (not single language at the bottom)
Next choose your language and your bit version (32 or 64 bit to match your system architecture or in the case of an upgrade, to match your currently installed version of Windows).
That will provide an ISO that will upgrade, repair (or clean install) either or both Windows 10 Pro and Home.
Once you have downloaded the ISO you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
OR

In summary your concern should be to get the proper bit version that you need or you want get them both, I maintain a current version of both 32 and 64 bit in case I would need one or the other for a specific reason.
Ok! I I opened the download tool. It asked me if the download was for that computer or another pc. I chose for another. It wanted to know USB or ISO. I chose USB. Then it wanted to know what os, bit, and language. These 3 fields were already filled in with the correct options. Windows 10, 64 bit and English. But there was a check box that had a check mark in it. It said something about use this computers settings. I left it all ad was. Did I do this right or will I have to redo it. Will I have to burn this to a dvd, being I chose usb instead of iso?

Reaction score
That sounds good to me. A Windows 10 creation tool on a USB is fine, I would recommend a USB with 8 GB capacity, 4GB USB is pushing it, I believe the compressed image is 3.7 GB. Yes! You can use the USB to install Windows 10 on any computer that's upgradable.

Reaction score
OR

OR

That sounds good to me. A Windows 10 creation tool on a USB is fine, I would recommend a USB with 8 GB capacity, 4GB USB is pushing it, I believe the compressed image is 3.7 GB. Yes! You can use the USB to install Windows 10 on any computer that's upgradable.
So, I just created the creation tool on a usb. Now I need to burn it to a DVD. I just want to make sure I do this right.

Reaction score
That's right. Trouble explains the full procedure step by step in his above post.
Once you have downloaded the ISO, you can burn it to either USB or DVD. Your choice.

Reaction score
That's right. Trouble explains the full procedure step by step in his above post.
Once you have downloaded the ISO, you can burn it to either USB or DVD. Your choice.
Yes! Trouble did explain it very well. I guess I was a little unsure of what to do when I saw the options to create the usb or ISO. I guess I thought it would just have the option for the iso. Then I would choose weather to burn to DVD or USB. I WILL get this done. With all of this Good HELP. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH. If I can tomorrow, I want to burn it to DVD using the img burn that Trouble suggested.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I saw the options to create the usb or ISO
IF you saw that option then, you did not use any link that I have posted anywhere in the last 6 months or so.
I've never used the Download Tool / Media Creation wizard or whatever they call that thing.
My links recently have all consistently pointed to the ISO and the ISO only, which then leaves it up to you to create the actual installation media from that.
IF you've used the media creation gadget then you didn't go to TechBench for the download but likely went here
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
AND
IF you chose to create the installation media on the fly, rather than choosing the ISO, then I'm not sure what that might actually leave on your computer when the process is done, if it cleans up after itself then all you'll have is the USB or DVD installation media that you created, which is fine, nothing wrong with that, but..... that's it.... you don't need to do anything else except use it. You cannot burn that USB to a DVD, it doesn't work that way.
Probably one of the reasons I no longer point anyone to that particular resource anymore.

EDIT: This is the only source I use and the only one I now point to. I used to point to both but no longer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
IF you saw that option then, you did not use any link that I have posted anywhere in the last 6 months or so.
I've never used the Download Tool / Media Creation wizard or whatever they call that thing.
My links recently have all consistently pointed to the ISO and the ISO only, which then leaves it up to you to create the actual installation media from that.
IF you've used the media creation gadget then you didn't go to TechBench for the download but likely went here
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
AND
IF you chose to create the installation media on the fly, rather than choosing the ISO, then I'm not sure what that might actually leave on your computer when the process is done, if it cleans up after itself then all you'll have is the USB or DVD installation media that you created, which is fine, nothing wrong with that, but..... that's it.... you don't need to do anything else except use it. You cannot burn that USB to a DVD, it doesn't work that way.
Probably one of the reasons I no longer point anyone to that particular resource anymore.

EDIT: This is the only source I use and the only one I now point to. I used to point to both but no longer.
I messed up I guess. Can I still go to this site that you reccomend and try this all over again? I thought I had it right. I am doing all of this forum by phone. To me its harder than being on the computer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't think you need to actually start all over again.
From what you've said, it sounds to me like you already have the necessary installation media in hand.
So.... I don't think there is anything left for you to do except, insert it into your computer and if autorun doesn't work, explore it and double click setup.exe and away you go.
Back up everything first, please!

Just because I do it differently, doesn't necessarily mean that you did it wrong. It should work perfectly fine the way you did it. In fact I suspect that a lot of people do it that way.
I just like to keep the ISOs on hand in case the DVD get's scratched or broken, or the USB ThumbDrive decides it doesn't want to work anymore. That way I can just make them again without going through the whole download process again.

IN fact I keep both 32 and 64 bit versions of the ISO on hand.
Haven't found a use for the 32 bit ISO yet, but someday, someone will bring me a 32 bit install that needs fixing and I'll need to generate the media for it.

Reaction score
From what you've said, it sounds to me like you already have the necessary installation media in hand.
So.... I don't think there is anything left for you to do except, insert it into your computer and if autorun doesn't work, explore it and double click setup.exe and away you go.

Just because I do it differently, doesn't necessarily mean that you did it wrong. It should work perfectly fine the way you did it. In fact I suspect that a lot of people do it that way.
I just like to keep the ISOs on hand in case the DVD get's scratched or broken, or the USB ThumbDrive decides it doesn't want to work anymore. That way I can just make them again without going through the whole download process again.

Haven't found a use for the 32 bit ISO yet, but someday, someone will bring me a 32 bit install that needs fixing and I'll need to generate the media for it.

But can I leagally download both 32 & 64 bit and keep on hand as you do. Since I downloaded the one already? I want both incase I need them for somone. That is what I intended to do. Everyone always comes to me for help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yes, the techbench link that I posted above is a resource for both bit versions.
There is no legalese associated with using that resource to download it again and again if you need to.
There are no restrictions except your time and bandwidth and of course space to store them on your computer.

Reaction score
Good luck MS servers are overloaded, don't understand why LOL.
it could take an hour or so just to validate your request.

Reaction score
Ok! This is what
20160702_075038.jpg
I see. Do I go with the highlighted selection?

Ask a Question