Windows 10 stalls out after downloading updates

Reaction score
Good evening,

Apologize in advance if the answer is buried in one of the posts.

I have installed Windows 10 last summer and have been having this problem ever since. Windows does their regular updates and the system downloads "some files" and then asks for a re-start. I do the restart and the system says don't turn off your computer, this may take awhile. Well it will take all day if I let it. The system just has the round circle spinning, "Forever"!

Next step is to do a forced turn off and shut off the computer. Then the computer say it will restore the last version.

I am not sure what files are being downloaded (if any) and/or certain the system is running with the latest software installed.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance, Tim

Reaction score
It sounds like you are not able to install the AU (Anniversary Update 1607) via Update. the 1511 had a problem like that on a few computer. Best thing would be to download the AU via Media Creation Tool and upgrade from there.
As a second option make a clean install with the AU.

Reaction score
I'm having this same exact problem on an ASUS G73SW laptop and I've been struggling with it since this past December with no resolution to date. I believe I had the Anniversary update running at one time but when the November update came around, that's when the problems started. I attempted to do a clean install on a new hard drive using the media creation tool to no avail. I then located an older version on a USB(Version 10 Build 10240) that installed successfully. I was able to update to whichever version came out in April but anything beyond that resulted in the never ending circle of dots. I've attempted a number of suggestions from this and other websites however nothing seems to work however I can always successfully do a clean install of Version 10 Build 10240. My computer works just fine with this older version but I would really like to get the latest version installed or at least gain an understanding as to why this isn't possible. Here is a link to the thread where I originally reported my problem that includes many suggestions for fixing the problem, maybe they will work in your situation.

https://www.windows10forums.com/thr...-of-windows-10-or-not.11725/page-2#post-56973

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the replies, just seeing them now... I have been busy but will attempt to do the AU update via Media Creation Tool.

Hold on everyone... will report back in a bit.

Ask a Question