Windows 10 System Image

Reaction score
This is a re-posting of a thread I prematurely marked SOLVED. Actually, it was not premature. I did manage what appears to be a system image BUT:

Yesterday I completed the upgrade to 1809 and decided, after checking many of the functions that I use regularly, I decided to do a backup and create a new system image using Windows10 tools.

Everything seemed to be progressing naturally - until the end when I got the notifification that "Windows Backup Did Not Complete Successfully".

When I drill down into the backup drive (F:) in File Explorer I find what appears to be a system image backup (FileHistory and WindowsImageBackup).

In File History all but the last three folders (229,230 and 231) contain what appears to be valid date.

Is there a chance that I do have a valid backup and is it complete? Is there a way to relate those three file names to data on E:?

Attachments

• Capture First Backup Attempt.PNG
    Capture First Backup Attempt.PNG
    407.8 KB · Views: 416
  • Capture WindowsImage 11162018.PNG
    Capture WindowsImage 11162018.PNG
    38.3 KB · Views: 386
  • Capture After System Backup.PNG
    Capture After System Backup.PNG
    56.1 KB · Views: 403
Reaction score
The File History and System Image backups are different processes. Each can be done by itself.

The file history does not overwrite previously backed up files but just adds any new ones.

Reaction score
Thank you. I realized that they were two different operations but I ran them back to back and when done I got that error message.

I believe then that you are telling me the system image is likely good and that the file history image is in doubt. IIUC then I am okay because I have all the data backed elsewhere.

I might add that I later discovered the error code. It was 0X 80070013 which I have not yet looked into. I quickly glanced over something about drivers.

Thanks for responding. It has helped me.

Reaction score
I believe then that you are telling me the system image is likely good

I think your image is ok. Here's how to verify it.
1. Mount it in disk Management. (Right click on largest Image file, select Mount)
Backup File List.jpg
2. Open Disk Management. (Right click Start, Left click Disk Management.)
3. If no drive letter is assigned, add one.
Backup Mounted in Disk Management.jpg
4. Verify files in File Explorer.
Files Viewed in Explorer.jpg

Hope this helps.
Gary

Reaction score
FWIW, I've never had much success restoring Windows 7 backups. Been problems everytime. I prefer to clone my disk to a separate disk. I have successfully used Aomei, Easeus, Minitool, and Macrium Reflect. Usually I use Aomei Backup to do a clone of the system drive.

Reaction score
The error code (13) means:

ERROR_WRITE_PROTECT
19 (0x13)
The media is write protected.

Reaction score
Even MS recommend using a third party program to perform backups. Win 7 backup has become unreliable. I have Macrium and Aomei and have found them to be very reliable.
If you are going to switch backup your procedure don't forget to create a boot disc or USB.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Win 7 backup has become unreliable.
You need to be careful what you post. I saw one thread where a Microsoft employee admonished a poster for making such a claim. The utility is just as reliable now as it was in Win 7.

The final decision is up to the user. A bad experience with one utility will eventually lead to an opinion being formed.

Reaction score
I think I may have confused myself. In the images that I posted here, are all of the references to a "backup" actually referring to the system image? I notice that "File History" completed; furthermore, I have just run File History twice more with no qlitches.

If the error (0X 80070013 reports "Media Write Only (Write Protected)" - which media are we talking about. Is it not true that the only media involved is the HD?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Saltgrass Let me re-phrase that. MS and it's Windows OS has become unreliable period. There are more versions of Windows 10 out there because of unreliability, many users are afraid to update. MS created the mess they are currently in, they can't eve put out a fully functional cumulative update.

Reaction score
think I may have confused myself. In the images that I posted here, are all of the references to a "backup" actually referring to the system image? I

Depends upon your selections when you set up the backup parameters. You have to specifically select "Include a system image..."
Backup choices..JPG
https://www.zetta.net/about/blog/common-backup-vs-system-image-backup-which-do-you-need

A system image is also not the same as cloning.

EDIT: See this link re: error code 0x80070013
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...n/b3b1fec7-b72a-45e6-8cc5-0481d67979f5?auth=1

Last edited:
Reaction score
Macrium here

You weren't the only one to advise Macrium. I may now be still another follower. After trying the Windows tool several times today with the same frustrating results I gave Macrium a shot. It ran through quite smoothly. Now that I have it, I need to learn how to use it.

I THINK that I will first clean my F: drive and start over. I am uncertain as to which files/folders are worth keeping and which should be discarded. F: is a new 2T HD that has been the destination for all of my recovery files on this computer.

Last question (for now). Does Macrium also create a System Repair Disk or will the one I have suffice?

MY Thanks to all who have helped me arrive at this point.

Reaction score
Macrium creates a dvd/cd or a Flash drive when you first use it and then every time it needs to do so. This is used for an emergency boot . I have never had to use it. Not very often and it will tell you. A Full Macrium backup to a disk ( I use a spare SSD in an enclosure using USB 3 for my laptop ) is bootable which makes things easy and of course it has the whole machine contents on it.

Reaction score
You weren't the only one to advise Macrium. I may now be still another follower. After trying the Windows tool several times today with the same frustrating results I gave Macrium a shot. It ran through quite smoothly. Now that I have it, I need to learn how to use it.

I THINK that I will first clean my F: drive and start over. I am uncertain as to which files/folders are worth keeping and which should be discarded. F: is a new 2T HD that has been the destination for all of my recovery files on this computer.

Last question (for now). Does Macrium also create a System Repair Disk or will the one I have suffice?

MY Thanks to all who have helped me arrive at this point.
Yes it does - have a look at top left of the Macrium interface Backup tab > Backup Tasks > Other Tasks > Create bootable Resue media

Alternatively the Windows10 Repair Media (aka Recovery Drive but with Unchecked system files) will fit onto a half gb usb drive and can be used with the Windows10 Troubleshooter - Insert said repair media and hit Restart whilst holding down the Shift key. This wil give you 3 options, Continue (back) to Windows 10, Turn off PC, Troubleshoot. Choose Troubleshoot > Advanced Options . . . System Image Recovery. This will enable you to restore not just Windows10 o/s but also all your Apps and Data that you previously backed up as a full drive image

Reaction score
Even MS recommend using a third party program to perform backups. Win 7 backup has become unreliable. I have Macrium and Aomei and have found them to be very reliable.
If you are going to switch backup your procedure don't forget to create a boot disc or USB.
Agreed on all counts! I too use both those backup apps c/w bootable USBs (Either Macrium's version - or Windows 10 own Recovery Drive having first UNchecked system files option box). [Without System files, only a small capacity eg 1gb USB stick is required}

Reaction score
With my Windows 7 I only ever got one backup image. After that the backup refused to save another image. With Windows 10 I never got the backup to work period. I resorted to Macrium which did the backup and imaging with no problems...and it's free.

Reaction score
@Norton, let me be clear, the Win 7 Image Backup has been diminished since Win 8 was released, but it still allows me to make reliable backups. It seems there are a lot of folks that just show up to tell folks not to use the utility. They are not just trying to be helpful, but have another agenda... I certainly hope none of them are misrepresenting their motives.

Reaction score
I have a second 1TB hard drive mounted in my PC , I partitioned it into 4 and use one for automatic images every week, and on a second partition take a manual image after every major update. I find the Windows 10 backup & restore - backup works great, and have on occasion (when I got too brave or stupid ) restored my PC quickly and easily from the image . I find having several partitions on both my main and second hard drive very useful, Windows doesn't need 1TB to run and works perfectly with 250G for the C drive. I have at least 3 current images should I need them, better to be safe than sorry.. lessons learnt over many years of trial and error. I have an older copy of Acronis Home 11 that still works great on my older PCs running Win 10. The image is compressed so takes up less room, and I've used it many times to restore past versions of XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8, and Win 10.

Reaction score
BACKUP QUESTIONS: (1) Apparently the "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" tool is diminished in the eyes of Microsoft, since it is listed on the Settings > Backup page in a light gray font. However, I just did a backup using it, and it appears to have worked OK. So, is this tool supported by Microsoft?
(2) Is it's apparent diminished status an attempt to get us to go to some other (unknown to me) Microsoft tool, or a third party tool?
(3) What is backed up? The OS only? Includes my apps, including registery entries? Any user data (although I intentionally try to keep user data off my system drive)?
(4) If something happened and I had to restore my system drive, would the recovered OS be the same and would my apps be reinstalled and operating?
(5) What about the two problems encountered during backup ... see attached text file.

Attachments

• Backup Files 2019-06-01 164910_error.tst.txt
    556 bytes · Views: 210

Ask a Question