Windows 10 Tweak Config File for services

Reaction score
Back in the day i used to download a tweaked Config file that will disable all the unwanted services. I think black Viper used to have one. Is there anyway this can be done or anything for windows 10? They have just way too many services. Back in the day they had it for windows xp and maybe Vista even.. Thanks all

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi koolisdon2006,

Welcome to the forum.

Currently, dependent on which particular version of Windows 10 you have installed, (i.e. Home, Professional, Enterprise, Education) there are some 200+ Windows Services.

Not all of these Services will be installed by default, and not all will even load on Startup by default, because when you install Windows 10 your system is scanned to detect hardware and software etcetera and the results of this scan in part determine what Services are installed, and which ones are set to load automatically versus being manually run, or delayed automatic (trigger started in other words) or disabled.

As Windows 10 is an operating system targeting multiple platforms - Desktop, Laptop, Surface tablets, Cellular Phones etcetera, this adds an additional layer of complexity in determining what Services an individual user may require for their particular System.

As a result, to my knowledge there is no Tweak Utility available for the Windows Services. In fact, if there were one, I'd highly recommend avoiding using it unless you have a very clear understanding of what each Service does, and its dependencies (i.e. What other Services require X service to be running, in order for them to do their role).

Each Service installed on your system has its own unique key in the Windows Registry and if you wish to see a quick list of what is installed on your computer then simply:
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Command Prompt
  • In the Command Prompt window type or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
    reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services"

Press Enter key to execute the command.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I just use task manager to show me the services. I dislike using the registry even if I am just reading it.
Also I have never found any tweak utility that was useful.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
There is a list of the Black Viper "tweaks" for Windows 10 (http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-10-service-configurations/), you may need to hide some columns to show the "safe" and "tweaked" options. There doesn't appear to be a script you can run to tweak things automatically though.

However, I very much agree with @Regedit32 and would avoid changing services en-mass like this, as they are often active for a reason and any very slight performance gain will be off-set by unexpected problems somewhere down the line. It's fine to disable specific services that you know you won't use, but I really would recommend leaving them alone in Windows 10. In Vista, there was plenty to be gained (as it was less selective with running services and hardware was slower), but since Windows 7 I've not seen any benefit.

Reaction score
Back in the day i used to download a tweaked Config file that will disable all the unwanted services. I think black Viper used to have one. Is there anyway this can be done or anything for windows 10? They have just way too many services. Back in the day they had it for windows xp and maybe Vista even.. Thanks all

You can do that in task manager under the startup tab. Or at the command prompt enter msconfig

Ask a Question