Windows 10 Unable to ShutDown

Reaction score
Hello,
I recently had an update on my windows 10, on 3/14/16, and after that my laptop would not shut down, it will either stay on the shut down screen, or the screen turn off, but the laptop will be on, as well as the fan. I have tried different things to fix this but it won't work. If anyone can help it would be great.
Thank You!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try using an elevated command prompt
Right click the start button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt window type
shutdown /s /f /t 0
hit enter
What happens?

Reaction score
Try using an elevated command prompt
Right click the start button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt window type
shutdown /s /f /t 0
hit enter
What happens?
I was able to shut down the computer,
But now something appears to be wrong with my windows 10, I don't know how to explain it, some things I had won't appear, as well as my account icon wont appear

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tried using System Restore to go back to a point in time prior to the problem's first occurrence

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click the Start Button and choose Run and in the Run dialog box type
rstrui.exe
hit enter or click OK.

Reaction score
Right click the Start Button and choose Run and in the Run dialog box type
rstrui.exe
hit enter or click OK.
I already did the restore and it didn't change anything, the last restore point I have is just after the update I believe. What else can I do?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not sure.
The thread began with you being unable to shut down your computer.
Can you shut down your computer now?
Maybe a little better in-depth explanation as to what exactly your problems is, might help.

Reaction score
I have had this problem since Windows 8.0

I created a shortcut on my desktop with the command C:\WINDOWS\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 000 /f and use this to shutdown (BTW - those are zeros following the /t)

Because of random problem with restart, I also created a shortcut with the command C:\WINDOWS\System32\shutdown.exe /r /t 000

WARNING! Be sure you don't have any software running or files open when you invoke the shutdown shortcut as this command forces a shutdown - even if files are open.

These two shortcuts always word and are FAST!

Ask a Question