SOLVED Windows 10 - update fault on Dell 1545

Reaction score
Hello Community, I am a new member - Frank.

I have 2 Dell laptops, both with W7 1 x 1545 & 1 x D630; both were dual booting with Ubuntu 15.04. I decided to install W10 on the 1545; didn't like it & reverted to W7; so far no problems, as I made sure on each Win restart, it went to Windows. Nov now arrives and MS DECIDED I would like W10 re-installed on 1545; again, I made sure each restart it went to W10 not Ubuntu. Sat 22nd. MS DECIDED I would like their update to Win 10. This took a long time, but eventually installed. Now on boot-up I get the dual boot choice; I select W10, boots up, see W10 picture of beach scene; hit return, asks for password; I KNOW my password but W10 rejects it. Also cannot use F2 or F12. Cannot enter W10 at all. 'Bricked'.
The other Dell D630 MS DECIDED I'd love that one upgraded as well. All OK. 22nd again MS DECIDED I'd LOVE to update it too. NO good!!!. I had the idea to re-install Ubuntu 15.04 (Takes 15min) and hey presto! both W10 & Ubuntu dual booting again - not 100% but workable. Tried the same fix on 1545 - no good, still 'bricked'.
I am constantly googling & searching the net for solutions. I am not without experience, since I first started with the building the Ohio 101, long before any windows; also came up through all versions of Win & various other OS. Linux, Data General (Unix) Apple, Bespoke OSs'. I Installed security print automation world wide with bespoke software, but never met anything as stupid as Win 10 update released world wide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Solved the Win10 issues myself with google, but I lost all my valued photoes and other data.

Solution: Create Win 10 bootable usb Flash Memory with Win 10 installation. Not the end though, see my next post on MS updates.

Ask a Question