Windows 10 update just broke my computer.

Reaction score
Yep. Windows 10 self-updated, and now I can no longer log in. Either I get a black screen with a mouse arrow, or I get the password screen and it just keeps hanging with the circling dots after I enter pass.

Thank you Microsoft. Once again you prove why Windows 10 is the most God-awful piece of crap OS ever released!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Been hearing a lot of this lately and I have no idea what-so-ever, what might be causing the problem, but.....
When you get the "Sign-in" screen, don't sign in
Instead hold the shift key on your keyboard and use the power icon on the sign in screen to "Restart"
Navigate through the trouble shooting screens and choose Startup Settings to attempt to boot into Safe Mode with Networking. Choice #5 I believe.
See if the machine will start and let you log on using that technique.

Screen3.JPG

Reaction score
After much trouble I was able to restore to a previous backup. So it's working now, without the new update.

But now what? If I can't trust Windows Update to not break everything, what shall I do? Turn off Windows Update entirely? Refuse to accept any new versions of Windows 10? I don't feel I can trust Microsoft after this.

Reaction score
I just installed these updates no problem
Although i am on 1511 and those updates seem to have been o/k installing.
Not going to install the Anniversary upgrade bug which caused me major problems.:(
upload_2016-10-12_16-56-34.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
After much trouble I was able to restore to a previous backup. So it's working now, without the new update.
But now what? If I can't trust Windows Update to not break everything, what shall I do? Turn off Windows Update entirely? Refuse to accept any new versions of Windows 10? I don't feel I can trust Microsoft after this.
Generally speaking, assuming that there is no actual hardware issues, most of the problems that result from installing updates are going to be linked to third party software products.
Like the issue Regedit32 pointed out earlier
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/notice-if-you-are-using-norton-360.10916/

Personally I had a terrible problem with the "watchdog" component of AVG after an update which cost me a good amount of time to resolve.

I think with all the updates coming so fast and furious from Microsoft that a lot of third party software vendors are frantically playing catch-up.

My suggestion would be....
IF you are having trouble with a particular update or group of updates.....
Uninstall any third party security suite software (you can't really disable them), then clean boot the system https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
See if that allows the update(s) to be installed without issue.
IF so then reset your clean boot changes to normal state and re-install the security software (after checking for the most recent version and subsequent updates for it).

Ask a Question