SOLVED Windows 10 Update 'looping'

Reaction score
Can anyone assist with a solution?

My laptop was purchased with Win10 pre-installed and worked quickly and perfectly until the Cumulative Updates started to arrive. The PC now takes about 20-30 minutes to start and shutdown because it constantly tries to configure updates up to 62%, fails, then uninstalls everything and then loops back to configuring again. It eventually gives up and goes to the Start splash screen whereupon it runs perfectly until shutdown where it configures, fails, etc.

I have loaded and used the Windows Update Mini Tool to no avail, tried to install the updates manually, with and without Anti-virus engaged but to no avail.

The updates download well but refuse to install. The latest Cumulative Update causing a problem is KB3198586.

Reaction score
Hi,

That update (KB3198586) is for version 1511.

You might want to try updating to version 1607. Try installing the new version by downloading it here.

You know the routine, back up data before attempting this just in case things go bad.

I am not familiar with the Windows Update Mini tool.

Jaco

Reaction score
This laptop is not one of those with the 32GB hard drive is it ? If so updating to version 1607 is a bit more complicated.

Reaction score
Hi Tim, No the HDD is 1TB. I will be looking into the 1607 (Annual Update) version as suggested by Jaco and have to 'clean' the PC before backing up. I will let you know the result.
It seems that this 'looping' problem is quite common but difficult to resolve by one method.
Paul W

Reaction score
Hi Jaco & Tim. Finally, the problem has been solved. I upgraded the PC to version 1607 (Anniversary Update) and the computer starts up in about 20 secs and shuts down in about 15. Result.......!! I was fortunate in that there were no problems whilst updating, or after and I didn't even have to disable my Anti-virus (Kaspersky).
If anyone else wants to go down this route, I would suggest backing up the complete computer (image) but before you do that, clean it out by using CCleaner, Malwarebytes, ADWcleaner, check drivers are up to date with IOBIT Driver Booster. All these programs are FREE. Finally, Scan with your Anti-virus,
I don't know how long this Utopia will last, but thanks once again......

Ask a Question