SOLVED Windows 10 Update stops at login screen

Reaction score
I used the free download Windows 10 Update to go from Windows 8.1. Install went find and it comes to the login screen that says "Welcome Back". I click on the next button and a small blue circle comes up and spins but nothing happens beyond that. I unplugged external drives, cards, flash drives etc and tried a hard reboot but it still stops at the same spot. What can I do from here?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thank you Jim.
Good bit of diagnostics and much appreciated. I suspect that it might prove helpful to others as well.
It seems from what I've been reading that, the upgrade process does not like any dongles of any type attached during the process, even apparently to include some wireless keyboards and mice.
Not to mention third party security suites also.

Reaction score
Jim - you are my hero, THANK YOU for posting that, very frustrated when Windows locked up on me during the update, I never would have imagined it was because of the network USB device attached to the system.... astonished that is a problem....

Ask a Question