Windows 10 updates screw up my PC. Now nothing runs at all

Reaction score
BIG PROBLEMS with Windoes 10. Following an Update I cannot run anything, or do anything.

Upgraded to Windows 10 in August, I was happy initially. After a while I just got a blank screen with cursor, could not do a thing apart from hard reset with power button. On boot-up it applied an update and I was back in business. Then a few weeks later it happened again, ... then again. However I still had a usable PC.

Then one day recently it stopped responding to lots of things - start buttom bottom left - click - nothing. Task bar item, click, circle for 3 secs then nothing, Desktop item, click, circle for 3 secs then nothing. i.e. I could simply not run anything. Start button respondeds to right click with menu, but nothing works from that either.

Thinking it was me who had screwed up my PC somehow I rolled back to Windows 7 from a backup image I took just before intial update. Back in busines with Win 7, but of course it wanted to apply the Win 10 update. Updated to 10 a second time and set it all up. Everything fine once again.

...... until .... an update arrived. Same thing, blank screen with cursor, hard reset, update applied, then back to a bricked PC. Nothing runs. I can move icons around my desktop but clicking anything just gives the little circle

Unless someone can advise a fix, it is back to Win 7 again for me. But how do I tell the system I DO NOT want Windows 10 applied when it has downloaded it and is ready to go? - i.e. that is the state of my back-up image.

Reaction score
This would likely not happen on a clean install of Windows 10. Having issues on an upgrade is nothing uncommon.

Reaction score
Did you reapply the image after one month from the upgrade?

If so, you Windows 7 registration key would have been snaffled by MS. When you upgraded for the second time, it was possibly unactivated? This would result in what you have experienced, imho, although it seems to be still a little vague on the issues involved. I would suggest you load the windows 10 ISO and make a fresh install. This will automatically fetch your new activation from the MS servers, and you will then be activated.

So that you do not spoil your Windows 7 installation, make a dual boot of Windows 10.

Reaction score
Everyting seems activated OK, both Win 10 working fine before the update arrived, and Win 7 when I reinstalled from my backup image - I used it for several days with no problems. The result was exactly the same both times. I simply cannot run anything now via any method

n.b. I can right click the start icon and get the menu. However if I run Control Panel from there either directly of via "Run" the window comes up but it does not populate - just a blank window and a spinning little circle, for hours on end...

So how do I access the option to roll back to Win 7?
My only alternative is a clean install of 7 then hours of rebuilding/updating to get back to where I was before this damn Win10 cr~p arrived, unless someone can tell me how to stop Win 7 applying the Win 10 update once it has downloaded it

Reaction score
If you ultimately want Windows 10, then a clean install of Windows 10 (not Windows 7) is what you should be thinking of.

After upgrading use ProduKey to retrieve your activation key. If you have used a MS account to login to Windows 10, MS has record of your activation. And if so, you can bypass the upgrade because you have already done it once. Use a MS Account to activate a clean install of Windows 10.

Microsoft will also soon (if not already) allow Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 keys to activate Windows 10.

Reaction score
No I do not want Windows 10, at least not until it is going to work properly, at the momemt it is obviously imcompatible with my PC and/or software (just normal stuff). I just want to go back to Win 7, but I want to do that without having to build it all again - I have a backup image that works for me - I want to go back to it and I want to stop it applying Win 10

Reaction score
No I do not want Windows 10, at least not until it is going to work properly, at the momemt it is obviously imcompatible with my PC and/or software (just normal stuff).
If you have not clean installed Windows 10, you don't know if it is compatible with your machine.

Good luck with your issue, I'm finished talking to a wall.

Reaction score
You only ask one question in this thread.

Try this, doesn't seem to work for all though::

Attachments

• Windows10BlockerHider.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 414
Reaction score
Finally managed to get W10 fired up and responding. Told it to revert to Win7 which it has done so I am back up and running now.

Perhaps I will try again in another 6 months, I hope it gets better.

Reaction score
if you are back to windows 7 and do not want to be bothered by the windows 10 reminder then do this.
go into control panel / go into programs and features / go into view installed updates and look for KB3035583 and uninstall it that is the windows 10 update .
after you uninstall it reboot and then run windows update and it will show it as an important update.
view it and then hide the update and you should be good to go.
it is possible that it may appear again and if it does repeat above steps.
also change your update settings to download updates but let me choose to install them.
by doing this you can control what is installed as far as updates.

hope this helps.

Reaction score
if you are back to windows 7 and do not want to be bothered by the windows 10 reminder then do this.
go into control panel / go into programs and features / go into view installed updates and look for KB3035583 and uninstall it that is the windows 10 update .
after you uninstall it reboot and then run windows update and it will show it as an important update.
view it and then hide the update and you should be good to go.
it is possible that it may appear again and if it does repeat above steps.
also change your update settings to download updates but let me choose to install them.
by doing this you can control what is installed as far as updates.

hope this helps.
Sign this guy up. Hey, that sounds just like what I have been hearing from the local experts. Good job.

Reaction score
Sign this guy up. Hey, that sounds just like what I have been hearing from the local experts. Good job.

Thank You.

that is the way i did my windows 7 computers that i didn't want to do the upgrade on so i do know it works.

Ask a Question