Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7

Reaction score
I have been trying to upgrade to Win 10 from Win 7. I always get "Windows 10 Installation has Failed !" without other info.

I do have a License Key as this has been purchased - it is not the "free" upgrade offered by Microsoft.

I searched on the Internet, and applied several suggestions I found, but none has worked so far. My computer shows 45 GB free space for installation. I downloaded the installation files using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, which created a USB key with all required files. I am trying to upgrade while keeping my installed apps and documents.

I have 3 documents showing:
  • Step by Step how I proceeded;
  • SetupErr.Log
  • SetupAct.Log.
but somehow they are not accepted for uploading.

Would someone have a suggestion
a) how to upload the files and
b) how to proceed with Windows 10 ?​

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year 2018.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Can you right-click the documents and send to compressed file [ i.e. Zip them ].

You should be able to upload a zipped file.

Reaction score
Can you right-click the documents and send to compressed file [ i.e. Zip them ].

You should be able to upload a zipped file.
Right, when you click Upload a File it will give a list of file types that are acceptable, .zip is one. Size is always an issue but plain text compresses pretty good, images not so much.

Reaction score
I have tried uploading text, Docx, Zipx files - none goes through and I get the message that the file extension is not acceptable. Is there a way to send these files differently ?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
It may not be a problem with the upgrade itself. If may be part of your hardware that causing the issue, old hardware.

Reaction score
I have tried uploading text, Docx, Zipx files - none goes through and I get the message that the file extension is not acceptable. Is there a way to send these files differently ?
The x on the file extension may be the issue. The x is most commonly used by Microsoft Office's suite of applications with Office 2007 and later, haven't yet seen it on other products although other programs such as the free LibreOffice can work with them. Try .doc for Word documents, .zip for compressed files, etc.

Reaction score
Is the PC architecture the same as the Win 10 ISO ?

Try running the MS PC Windows 10 compatibility check.
From MS: "You can force it to rerun the test by going to the command prompt and entering

schtasks.exe /Run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"

Reaction score
I have been trying to upgrade to Win 10 from Win 7. I always get "Windows 10 Installation has Failed !" without other info.

I do have a License Key as this has been purchased - it is not the "free" upgrade offered by Microsoft.

I searched on the Internet, and applied several suggestions I found, but none has worked so far. My computer shows 45 GB free space for installation. I downloaded the installation files using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, which created a USB key with all required files. I am trying to upgrade while keeping my installed apps and documents.

• SetupErr.Log
  • SetupAct.Log.

This worked for me, go to c drive/ windows/System32 and find wimgapi.dll. copy that and then paste it to the windows 10 update folder.
This fixed the error that api-ms-win-core-library or something like that, hasn't started and you need to reinstall it. this was driving me nuts till I found that posted on a forum. works every time for me, hope it works for you.

Reaction score
C

• SetupErr.Log
  • SetupAct.Log.

Check subscription payment and renes. Searched som

• SetupErr.Log
  • SetupAct.Log.

Reaction score

• SetupErr.Log
  • SetupAct.Log.

Reaction score
you might want to check and find out is your processor compatible with windows 10, mine wasn't on my old quad core. I had the intel Q8300

Reaction score

• SetupErr.Log
  • SetupAct.Log.

You might want to check your serial number is it for Win 10 Home, win 10 home upgrade or win 10 professional or win 10 professional upgrade you need the win 10 upgrade software and serial/key to upgrade from win7 just a windows 10 won't upgrade. the best option is win 10 pro and start afresh with a new system. Or stay with windows 7 -- Happy New year.

Reaction score

• SetupErr.Log
  • SetupAct.Log.

Have you tried Microsoft help they have me fix various issues on my computer,they do ask that you allow them to work remotely on your computer and the first fix is free of charge. they do ask if you would like to purchase their plan to help with any computer issues. This cost about £100 for one year and is for more than one computer. Definitely worth a try

Reaction score
Sorry I should have added, to install a new OS is to replace everything the old OS has in the BIOS settings, the HD / SSD and RAM. Win 7 will not recognise most of 10, save everything you want to a hard copy USB or DVD. When you install the new it may keep a folder Old Windows, but best to be sure than sorry.

Reaction score

• SetupErr.Log
  • SetupAct.Log.

Hi, I had a similar problem, finally called in MS Support, they did a take over, and I believe skipped and update, but did resolve my problem.

Reaction score
Hi, I had a similar problem, finally called in MS Support, they did a take over, and I believe skipped and update, but did resolve my problem.
You were trying to install Win 10 on Win 7 by USB ?

Ask a Question